does current visa need to expire before renewal?

nareshboga

Registered Users (C)
My visa stamp expires on May 31, 2005. However, my I-797 is valid until May 31, 2006. Do I need to wait until after May 31, 2005 to go and renew my visa or can I do it prior to that date?

Thanks

You could do it before that, however, you need to travel outside the US either to your home country or as a third country national to Canada. There is no reason to indulge in exclusive travel to renew your visa. The next time you travel outside the US, you can get your visa renewed.

us visa said:
You could do it before that, however, you need to travel outside the US either to your home country or as a third country national to Canada. There is no reason to indulge in exclusive travel to renew your visa. The next time you travel outside the US, you can get your visa renewed.

Thanks for the info "us visa".

My visa stamp expires by May 2005 and my 797 is valid till Nov 2006. I just got back from my home country few months back and I wanted to keep the stamp renewed so that in case of emergency we don't wanna wait for the stamping (endless appoitment wait times goes in there by default :eek: ).

So I was just wondering whether to get an appointment before my stamp expires so that I can try to get the stamping done in my home country and if for some reason the consulate people there gives any trouble I can use my previous stamping to get in (no sure whether it works that way or not :confused: )

Another option is to go to Canada before my visa stamp expires and get the revalidation done in Canada. I'm not sure which one is better.

Can you (or guru's out there) shed some light on this?

Canada or home country? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.