Does country of citizenship matter?

srikanthsiva

Registered Users (C)
I am very new to all this greenccard processing as my lawyer has just filed my 140/485/EAD/AP etc....under EB2 category

I am a Malaysian citizen working as an instructor for a university.

Does being from Malaysia speed up/slow down/does not affect the application?

Ignorant Question: Was Malaysia on the list of 'special registration' countries ?

At some point in the process CIS perfoms various background checks on all applicants (finger prints, FBI name check). Coming from a country with a bit of a religious militant problem, this background check might be a bit more thorough than on someone from lets say Iceland.

No clue

I have no clue on how to find out if Malaysia is listed in the 'special registration country'

Do you know?

Sri

I don't.

The list contained mainly countries with a muslim majority, but probably not all of them.

Although the program was abandoned, it looks like people from these countries still undergo special scrutiny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following countries are in SR:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.

Malaysia is not in it.

srikanthsiva said:
I am very new to all this greenccard processing as my lawyer has just filed my 140/485/EAD/AP etc....under EB2 category

No, if you are not stuck in name check.

Jharkhandi said:
No, if you are not stuck in name check.

How I know that my name stuck in name check?
for I-485 the messege in the site said " we received your finger print and the processing is resumed..." is that mean they finish name check?

As per my lawer, country and RELIGION do matter. Sad but TRUE.

srikanthsiva said:

Just to let you know that they have discontinued the special registration program under huge international criticism.

Jharkhandi said:
Following countries are in SR:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.

Malaysia is not in it.

Officially they discontinued it, but I hope you dont't think that this was the end of it. Of course the discriminate by religion and national origin, in their little brain ethnic profiling works. ( IMHO, the next Al-Quaeda attack will be perpetrated by a blonde female of bosnian heritage with a UK passport..)