Does conference paper citing count?

farhome

Registered Users (C)
I checked this forum and found that many mentioned citation counts. Here I have a question:

When counting the citations, shall we include those citings from conference papers?

Thanks.

farhome said:
I checked this forum and found that many mentioned citation counts. Here I have a question:

When counting the citations, shall we include those citings from conference papers?

Thanks.

Yes, you can also count these citations. But as with all citations don't include self citations and also citations from people you worked with (or had a paper with) are not as good as "normal" citations. In addition you should differentiate between citations where you paper is just cited and citation where the authors include parts of your research in the text/graphics. These kind of citations are the ones which make a very strong case.

A few papers to which I am the second author have been cited by others a lot of times. Do these citations count?

kaixin said:
A few papers to which I am the second author have been cited by others a lot of times. Do these citations count?

Sure. All papers on which you are one of the authors (first, second, third etc) are useful for citations. It is more interesting if the other scientists just cite you paper or if they write about your research in their text/graphics. The citations where they write about your research are by far the most important ones.

follow on questions about citations

Based on honkman's statements, I've learned:
( :p 1) we can count the citations from conference papers
( :p 2) the papers (cited by others) are not limited to first-author ones.
( :p 3) "cite with discussions" is stronger than "cite only"

I have severl follow on questions about citations that I can not find ansers on the FAQs:

( :confused: 1) Where should I mention the citations, in the recommendation letter or in the petition letter? I am wondering do you guys explicitly mention that 'I have 10 publications and 50 citations'?

( :confused: 2) Should I include the whole paper or just the part that cited my paper as an evidence?

( :confused: 3) Should I mention the citations that pointed out the shortages/limitations of my paper (these citations seem quite normal in the introduction of a paper)?

Thanks.

farhome said:
Based on honkman's statements, I've learned:
( :p 1) we can count the citations from conference papers
( :p 2) the papers (cited by others) are not limited to first-author ones.
( :p 3) "cite with discussions" is stronger than "cite only"

I have severl follow on questions about citations that I can not find ansers on the FAQs:

( :confused: 1) Where should I mention the citations, in the recommendation letter or in the petition letter? I am wondering do you guys explicitly mention that 'I have 10 publications and 50 citations'?

( :confused: 2) Should I include the whole paper or just the part that cited my paper as an evidence?

( :confused: 3) Should I mention the citations that pointed out the shortages/limitations of my paper (these citations seem quite normal in the introduction of a paper)?

Thanks.

1) I would put it in the petition letter, but there is no "rule"

2) I would include the whole paper and marking the part where your paper is cited

3) I would mention all citations. All citations are positive when they discuss you. It shows that other scientists think that your research is good enough to take a closer look and to try to improve it.

Dear honkman,

I sincerely appreciate your immediate reply/help.

(I just went out to cook my lunch and then found your answer when I returned:)

- farhome