Does Address change on 140 need to be done by Petitioner?

tarantula

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
I called USCIS 1800 # to change the address on my 140 file. After waiting for about 25 mins, the rep tells me that it has to be done by the Attorney or Employer. The guy never looked at the case or even asked for my LIN and he flat out told me the above. He only asked if I was the petitioner. Is this a new rule? Anyobody experienced this?

tarantula said:
Folks,
I called USCIS 1800 # to change the address on my 140 file. After waiting for about 25 mins, the rep tells me that it has to be done by the Attorney or Employer. The guy never looked at the case or even asked for my LIN and he flat out told me the above. He only asked if I was the petitioner. Is this a new rule? Anyobody experienced this?

If you moved to a new place, you can update the address change for all your pending applications with USCIS except I-140.

Only if Attorney or Employer moves, then the pending I-140 has to be updated and will be done by either attorney or employer not by the beneficiery.

Hope this answers

ABT, thanks very much for the clarification. I reside in Canada and have moved within Canada. My case is 140 with CP. So, don't I need to update my address? Or should I do it only after 140 is approved and when the case reaches NVC. I'm confused as to how I will get the CP packets. One last question, is it okay to give a US address? Thanks in advance

I asked this same question to my attorney last week, they said Packet 3 will be mailed by NVC to my address in Home country (India) and to my attorney. They will not be mailing me to my US address, so it doesn't matter if I change my address as many times I want.
If you live in canada and canada is your home country then I guess you need to notify them for address change. I am not sure.

smmakani,
Thanks for your reply. I guess I will have to call NVC not USCIS since my 140 has just been approved. Is it possible for me to change it to a US address?

Oh! Is your I -140 approved? The one that you filed sometime in July, Right? Thats the good news. I too filed I-140 (Non-concurrent - CP) yesterday.
I have no idea about whether you can change it to US address. I don't think so, I am not sure.
Anyways, One set of documents would be going to your attorney. I guess that what you will be sending to ambassy. I would suggest you to talk to your attorney to avoid delays

Goodluck !!!

I will talk to my attorney then. Yes, 140 approved at last :) Major relief. Keep your fingers crossed, it might even take < 3months. Good luck.