Documents you receive as a result of citizenship? and passport question

sangk76

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I have searched this forum, while everybody is talking about documents to send with N-400 application etc.. I have a different question:

1.After the oath and everything - once you get naturalized, what documents do you receive from INS? I mean what is the proof document that you bring home that says that you are now a U.S Citizen? !!

2.And I have a weird question about passport photos that we send with N-400. Do you know where they are used. I have seen that they ask you to sign on the two photos during interview but do you get the photos back in any document for you to keep? Or you dont see the photos at all after you sign them at interview? Just wanted to decide if I want to send the photo that I am not satisfied with, or should i take one again :), if it is not going to come in any official document we keep, or in our passport, then I would care less and send the one I have without wasting more money.

3.Lastly, to get U.S passport - is this a separate process that you do after getting citizenship? starting from application form submission along with fresh set of photos /fees etc..?

Thanks for your patience.
sg

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The citizenship certificate
2. They ask for two photos, one is sent back to you with the passport
3. Yes, you apply for it at the post office (or DOS facility)

thanks scarlethawk.

Does the citizenship application have your photo too?

For #2 if one of the photos we submit "while applying N-400 is sent back affixed with the passport".. then that means we dont send new photos while applying for passport? I thought we sent photos for passport application too?

Or probably I got it mixed up, may be you are talking about the photos you send while applying for passport and not the ones with N-400 form?

Thanks again!!

sangk76 said:
thanks scarlethawk.

Does the citizenship application have your photo too?

For #2 if one of the photos we submit "while applying N-400 is sent back affixed with the passport".. then that means we dont send new photos while applying for passport? I thought we sent photos for passport application too?

Or probably I got it mixed up, may be you are talking about the photos you send while applying for passport and not the ones with N-400 form?

Thanks again!!

Yes I was talking about photos for passport. For N-400 you give them two photos as well. The keep one, the other one is attached to your citizenship certificate.

Hehe... the photo on my natz cert makes me look like a drunken druggie. Thankfully the one in my passport is a little better ;)

boatbod said:
Hehe... the photo on my natz cert makes me look like a drunken druggie. Thankfully the one in my passport is a little better ;)
You must have used the same photographer as my wife - she looks extremely, um, mellow on her natz cert :)

Can one of the experienced folks explain the difference between Certificate of Naturalization (CN) and Certificate of Citizenship (CC)?

Browsing through the USCIS website, it looks like there is a difference between the above two documents, though I could easily be reading too much into what they are saying. I have also seen these terms being used interchangably elsewhere.

Is the CN something that is granted after satisfying residence requirements, and the CC granted based on citizenship of parents? So some people end up getting a CN and others get a CC, maybe?

About the document that we get during the Oath Ceremony: what's the title on it? Can someone please look at theirs and let us know? Also please tell what your basis of qualification was: 5 yr or 3 yr residence, so we can see any possible correlation.

Much thanks in advance for providing any clarity on this.

Regards.

Sammy

If you take the oath at a naturalization ceremony, you become a naturalized citizen. Children do not do this. Instead, they auto-magically become citizens as a result of the citizenship of their parents.

There are other ways that non-US-born children automagically become citizens. One example is to be born to 2 (or 1 in some cases) US citizens outside of the country. When you fill in an N-600 you (or your parents, if you are under 18) state the reason why you became a citizen (either at birth or while a minor).

A certificate of natualization attests to a change in your citizenship status (from GC to USC). A certificate of citizenship attests to the fact that you are a USC.

Both can be used as proof of USC-ness (as can a valid US Passport).