Documents to prove residency

ma4336

Registered Users (C)
I will be soon appearing for my naturalization interview. I have a question on documents to prove residency. The suggested documents are rental agreements, morgage paperwork, utility bills, etc. Unfortunately I have neither of those with my name on it. The last two years i've been living with my family, the house belongs to my sibling, and the utilities (electric, cable, landline) is paid by others in the family. I do have my own cell phone and bill statement, bank statement, credit card statements, tax information, I have a letter from employer, and a school record for an evening school I attend in the area. My question is, are these sufficient to prove my residency at the address ? Is there anything else I should take with me ?

Thank you for your help.

- M

Do you think your residency is going to put into question? I don't think I have seen many people saying that this is something asked during interview, probably only when there have been long absences from the country or something like that.

I dont think my residency will put me in question. I have always lived in the same state since I first entered the U.S and have never taken a trip outside the country for longer than 2 months.

However, I am curious if one ever needs to proove his/her current residence address that the person is actually living there. If such is the case then I need help figuring out what documents I can use to prove that.

Maybe I am just being over paranoid :).

Thanks

- M

Yes, perhaps you are being a bit "over" paranoid :) Let's see if someone else chimes in with any ideas. If the officer asks you for anything during the interview I think the kind of documents you mentioned would be good, but I very much doubt you'll be asked to show this.

Proof of residency is simply a matter of showing your drivers license or state id card. The IO asks for this at the start of the interview in order to validate the district office has jurisdiction.

Beyond that, documents like rental agreements, mortgages and tax transcripts are typically only required where one is required to demonstrate continuity of residence in cases where there have been long absences from the US. In your case, I very much doubt you'll be asked for anything more than the standard documents (passport, drivers license and green card).

ma4336 said:
I dont think my residency will put me in question. I have always lived in the same state since I first entered the U.S and have never taken a trip outside the country for longer than 2 months.

However, I am curious if one ever needs to proove his/her current residence address that the person is actually living there. If such is the case then I need help figuring out what documents I can use to prove that.

Maybe I am just being over paranoid :).

Thanks

- M
Your Drivers License and Tax records along with Credit Card Bills and Bank Statements should be sufficient.

If you are really worried do the following:
1. Take PayStubs from you employer (if they have your home address on it).
2. Go to the local Motor Vehicles Administration and request a certified copy of your Driving record. It will cost a few dollars for the copy but it will have your address on it.
3. You can take a Notarized Affidavit from your sibling stating that you have been living with your sibling at the following address for the past few years.

But as others pointed out you are fine and really no need to worry.