documents for dependent visa

Immigration101

Registered Users (C)
Since many of us in this discussion board are on H1/J1 visas, I thought that some of you might have an answer to my friend\'s question.

My friend is going to India to marry his fiancee. However, this is a short trip and they may not be able to register the marriage in court. Can they use documents other than the actual marriage certificate to apply for a dependent visa (J2 in my friends case). If so, what documents may they use? They will apply for a J2 in New Delhi.

Thanks in advance.

documents needed

Filled out Affidavit of support form (INS-134)
Proof of employment letter
5-10 photos indicating the important events of the marraige
Marriage certificate(true copy)
photocopies of all sides of his passport
recent bank statements

city official/thasildar

yes, usually a city will have a person who is incharge of marriage, births/deaths etc.. they will be able to register the marriage in their books. Upon doing this they will give the certificate,

i don\'t know more than this except that I did what I just said when I got married,

No Title

To get a marriage certificate one need to go to Registrar\'s office and get registered. Remember "Register marriage.." in Hindi movies?

If it is a small town and if you know people then you can arrange so that, just after the marriage you can go to the Registr\'s office along with some witnesses to sign and Register. In big cities probably you need to make an appointment and pre-arrange for this...

Personal advice, it is better to spend that half hour or one hour and get registered, otherwise it becomes very difficult to get that certificate.

- PCee