Do you need to bring copies of every single paper?

ff1972

Registered Users (C)
Do you need to bring copies of every single document with you to the interview? I gathered tons of papers that might asked during interview (e.g., lease and lease renewals for the last 8 years, bills, tax transcripts, return amendments and copies of processed checks to IRS, marriage certificate, divotce, birth certificates and so on).

The more information you have the better off you are. I brought a ton of stuff (pretty much everything I could find) and thought that might not be enough. Turns out, 99% the officer never even looked at including my tax forms I had filed over the years. He did tell me it was nice to know he had easy access to all the documents if he wanted them. He then said how many people don't bring much at all and it's sometimes hard to make a decision.

So finally he just said it's better to be over prepared then under prepared. So take what you have listed and you should have enough evidence to convince him to make a quick decision...

That's true. I am taking everything that's relevant with me but i wanted to know if i should make copies of everything. I guess i will make copies of whatever i imagine he needs to include in the file with my application

My interview is next Wednesday. My N-400 application is on the basis of 5 years of permanent residency (not 3 years + US spouse). My list is obviously particular to me and is not all-inclusive. Sadly, the IRS has not yet sent my tax transcripts. My checklist is:

1. Original interview appointment letter
2. Letter of updates to original N-400 with copy of new passport
3. My own file of all application papers and support material
4. Green Card
5. I-181 (approval of permanent residency)
6. Current passport
7. Old reentry Permit/s
8. All old passports (with Post-Its for original USA L1-visa entry stamp and entry stamp for my last repatriation to the US from overseas)
9. Driver’s License
10. Social Security Card
11. Birth Certificate
12. Marriage Certificate
13. Documents to verify 3 months State residency (property tax appraisals + bank statements. Everything else we now do online with no paper records !!!!)
14. Tax returns (five years)
15. Tax transcripts (not yet received from IRS)
16. Court receipt for traffic violation
17. Two additional photos
18. Pencil
19. Ball-point

My guess is that you should be OK with the tax return documents that you have. IRS transcripts may have been good. Nevertheless, you at least have some proof to validate that you filed taxes and have no dues to IRS.

My interview is next Tuesday 5/8. I am bringing everything on that list in addition to other papers. I requested transcripts early from both IRS and state. The IRS transcripts says account balance = 0 but on state it doesnt say that. My tax return for 2001-2004 needed to be amended and i needed to pay extra taxes. On state transcripts there are amounts due :confused: but luckily i found bank statements with copies of processed checks that paid these amounts :). Anyway, i was granted voluntary departure by immigration judge in 1993 but court proceedings were terminated in 1996. I have all the court papers except the one that says proceedings were terminated. This is critical and the lawyer doesn't have it. But the lawyer told me that you don't have to proof that it supposed to be in your file and they need to verify that. He said that just tell them that judge has terminated the proceedings. This is the only paper that i don't have.

Just take the originals

Do you need to bring copies of every single document with you to the interview? I gathered tons of papers that might asked during interview (e.g., lease and lease renewals for the last 8 years, bills, tax transcripts, return amendments and copies of processed checks to IRS, marriage certificate, divotce, birth certificates and so on).

Just carry the originals. There is absolutely no need to carry copies. If they need a copy, the IO will make a copy from the original. But it is very likely that none of those document you have listed would be asked unless the case is a little complicated one.

I had about an inch or two of stuff - a copy of my N-400 and either the original or a copy of other things. I think I pulled one thing out of the folder (unsolicited - stupid me) and the IO said "that's ok, I don't need that".

It's better to be prepared. Don't go crazy getting ready or worry about something you wanted to get but never did. Go in relaxed and ready.