Do We Really Need to Do PP stamp??

teil

Registered Users (C)
Read through several posts here, especially the famous FAQ on after 485, but still confused.

Got the formal 485 approval notices (mine and my wife's) today. But there are basically only 1.5 lines on the notice saying
--- The above application has been approved. The immigration card facility will mail the new alien registration card directly to the applicant in approximately 120 days. ---

It really seems like we don't have to do anything to initiate the card order, so the PP stamping only makes sense if you do want to travel before receiving the physical card, am I right on this ? :confused: ?

Then why the post says it is a MUST to do stamping?
Thanks!

No the PP stamping is not needed if you have a green card. Stamping is temporary till you get GC. In your case they have already ordered a card sothere is no need for you to get stamping.

JimGren2005 said:
No the PP stamping is not needed if you have a green card. Stamping is temporary till you get GC. In your case they have already ordered a card sothere is no need for you to get stamping.

This is not quite correct.
My notice also said they would mail me my card in 120 days and nothing else.
If you have already given the Biometric (signature, index fingerprint, photos) then yes they will mail it direct.
If like me you had not done Biometrics, in about 4-5 weeks after the approval notice you WILL GET a Biometric letter. This will tell you when you have to appear to give the Biometric so they can make the card. Thats what happened to me and many others lately. They are trying to do away with the stamping and you are right you don't need to go get the stamp unless you have an immeadiate need to travel like I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, JimGren2005 and grunggy!

Thanks for the replies, JimGren2005 & grunggy.

I thought everybody has done Biometric during the 485 process ??
We did code-3 fingerprint for 485 on April 06, 2005. I belive we did Biometric, and there is even a stamp on my FP notice saying Biometric done blabla... (everybody has done this, am I right ??)

Anyway, I'll be just waiting then and see if there is any new mail to us.

Stamping PP

I too became a little confused as to whether my passport needed stamping before I got the GC.
I was given verbal approval at the interview ( later received email confirmation) and asked if I intended to travel outside the US within the next 90 days. As I do not intend to do so the gentlemen conducting the interview said I just need to wait for my CG to arrive with the welcome pack. Had I said yes then he would have stamped my passort there and then. I have not yet received the approval by mail but assume that I will do shortly.
I was also under the impression that you have to have biometrics and FP done to enable approval to be give. I guess not every ones situations are the same.

The Biometrics for the making of the Green Card ARE NOT the same as for the I-485. For the I-485 you give your full 10 fingerprints or as said above (Code 3 ). This I did.
The physical Green card Biometric is just the index fingerprint, signature and photos (code 2 ). This is also done if you e-file your EAD. If you did it then, they will mail your card direct from that.

if no EAD application, have to do PP stamping then?

Do you mean if I have ONLY done code-3 FP for 485 (we did NOT apply EAD/AP), we will have to do PP stamping or wait to do the Biometric, otherwise, the physical card order can not be initiated?
then I should be waiting for the biometric notice, or go directly to do stamping (I understand I need an appointment :p), or doesn't matter which one to do, just do one?

sorry for my stupid question, and thanks again!

grunggy said:
The physical Green card Biometric is just the index fingerprint, signature and photos (code 2 ). This is also done if you e-file your EAD. If you did it then, they will mail your card direct from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will get a Biometric notice, code 2, in about 4-5 weeks after your approval letter if it is needed to make your card.
If you have an immediate need to travel then they will stamp your passport.

grunggy said:
You will get a Biometric notice, code 2, in about 4-5 weeks after your approval letter if it is needed to make your card.
If you have an immediate need to travel then they will stamp your passport.

Grunggy is absolutely correct. Unless you are required to go out of country you should not do PP stamping. I had gone with stamping and USCIS still sent me notice to appear for Code 2 biometrics. We had it on 6/16. The same day after 3 hours I received email that my card has been ordered. I hope to receive the card by this weekend. So unless it is required you should not go for stamping which I found unnecessary for me.

JS

Hi js

I did my biometrics on 06/16 and got the msg that the card was ordered the same day. But no status change after that about card mailed etc. Have you got the card yet or did you see any status change?

Thanks.

js123431 said:
Grunggy is absolutely correct. Unless you are required to go out of country you should not do PP stamping. I had gone with stamping and USCIS still sent me notice to appear for Code 2 biometrics. We had it on 6/16. The same day after 3 hours I received email that my card has been ordered. I hope to receive the card by this weekend. So unless it is required you should not go for stamping which I found unnecessary for me.

JS

Same

kalki_gc said:
I did my biometrics on 06/16 and got the msg that the card was ordered the same day. But no status change after that about card mailed etc. Have you got the card yet or did you see any status change?

Thanks.

Kalki_gc

I have the same msg. Also I have not received my GC yet. I am anxiously waiting for this. There is no email on whether the card has been mailed or not. I do not know what is going on. I will update everyone once I received my GC.

I have another thing to share with everyone that I went for efile for my EAD just before my I-485 approval. I went to my local ASC for Code 2 biometrics. Still I was called for Code 2 biometrics again after the I-485 approval. So I think they are not interlinked. In last 3 months I had 3 appointments with USCIS, 3 FPs, 2 photos taken at ASC and 1 set of photos submitted. So there is no standard.

Hope this helps everyone.

JS

Kalki_gc,

I received 26 emails today (13 each for myself and my spouse) that our card have been mailed on June 25th. Hope you will receive (13 X number of applicants) emails soon to let you know your status.

JS :confused: :) :D ;)

Thanks for posting, js123431

hehe, a happy news although it doesn't seem necessary to have 13 emails to make you happy :D Cong!

Waiting for my Biometric notice now ... ...

js123431 said:
Kalki_gc,

I received 26 emails today (13 each for myself and my spouse) that our card have been mailed on June 25th. Hope you will receive (13 X number of applicants) emails soon to let you know your status.

JS :confused: :) :D ;)