Do we need change SSN ?

nalam

Registered Users (C)
My GC approved. Do I need to change SSN after my PP stamping and why? Give me some more details.

You need new SSN card w/o "Authorized to work with INS...".

SSN # sticks to everyone till death ( and years after that as well )

Your ssn number will remain unchanged, but only restriction "Authorized to work with INS ... " or something like that should be removed after your gc approval.

Otherwise, If they think you are still on visa authorization or ead authorization while you are permanent resident, the govt would stop putting money in your ssn account for retirement or until death if your authorization is expired with H1 expiry date or EAD expiry date.

You need to go to any SSN Office, fill up the relevant form and you will receive a new card within two weeks.

USGC485 said:
Your ssn number will remain unchanged, but only restriction "Authorized to work with INS ... " or something like that should be removed after your gc approval.

Otherwise, If they think you are still on visa authorization or ead authorization while you are permanent resident, the govt would stop putting money in your ssn account for retirement or until death if your authorization is expired with H1 expiry date or EAD expiry date.

I doubt that. How will SSN office know about your visa expiry date ? We never informed SSN office about our visa renewals. Also from SSN benefits point of view there is no difference between citizen, GC holder or H1 visa holder. I mean, if you live in this country till the age odf 80 on a legal visa, then you will get the same retirement benefits as GC holder / citizen. Ofcourse all this information is based on my knowledge of SSN system. I could be wrong also.