Do I need to replace Social Security card after I-485 approval? Since SSN card had "valid f

No Title

Strictly speaking, you don\'t NEED to replace the card (your SS # won\'t change), but it is highly recommended that you do. An "unrestricted" card is one of the accepted forms of alternative evidence for Form I-9, which you complete to document with your employer that your employment is legally authorized.

Go to your local SS office and submit the form to have your SS card replaced "without the employment restrictions on it." Make sure you explain your immigration status has changed and that your are now a permanent resident (take your passport -- or PR card if you have it already).

They will attempt to verify your status in their computer. Some people encounter problems at this point because their status change does not show up yet; persist with your request to get a replacement card, but recognize you may encounter unforeseen delays (see the other postings on this topic in this forum).

No Title

Note that there are a couple of long discussion on this topic, for example at the link http://www.immigrationportal.com/WebX?230@@.efd0162

The \'search\' button and some (minimal) effort can help you find answers to other questions you may have and even questions you would never think of asking :) For example check the answer to the much better question \'Things to do after I get the GC\' AmericanWannabe "things to do after approval??" 12/18/01 10:32pm

Good luck!