Do I need to mantain F1 status while waiting for a GC?

Hello guys
Hi everybody this is what my international student advisor is saying now. Anyone knows what to do? I really don't have $7k.

Hello Daniel,
I consulted the case with other School Officials in other schools and after our phone conversation today, I want to summarize on this e-mail my advise as your international student advisor.
1. Since you did not have your interview with Homeland Security yet, and have not been officially approved for a new status, you are still an F-1 student and you should maintain your status by being enrolled full time for the Fall semester.
2. I reviewed your SEVIS record today, and you are still an F-1 student, any change or adjustment was updated in the database. Unfortunately, I can't change your status as your lawyer suggests because Homeland Security is the only one who can do that.
3 I recommend you to maintain your status until you have your interview, so you don't have reasons against you to be approved.In fact you don't want to be out of status at any time or you won't be able to apply for any other status in the future. At this point since you feel it is not necessary and you feel comfortable with your lawyer's advise, it is your decision and under your own risk and responsibility to continue or quit your classes. Please make sure to notify me on writing of your decision.

Feel free to contact me if you have more questions and I wish you good luck.
Hello its been a really long time if you ate still active on this I want to ask some question regarding this matter.