Do I need an Attorney?

moonsky

I was arrested two years ago. The result was No court and No charges filed. I was not adjudicated guilty. Do I need to have an Attorney to the Interview with me? Will I have a problem to get the citizenship? Thanks!

To some extent the answer really depends upon why you were arrested. Be aware you must mention your arrest on the N-400, so if it was for something potentially problematic, you may still want to have a lawyer present.

An example: say you were arrested for domestic violence, but no charges were filed because your wife changed her mind. Would you want a lawyer? Absolutely, because the arrest would fit under the category of a crime of moral turpitude.

But remember I'm not a lawyer, so this would be my opinion only.

However if your cases is something like being arrested because you were walking down the street and you resembled the description of someone who had committed robbery close by a short time earlier. By the time they get you to the station they realized it was in error. I would expect that you would not need a lawyer, simply an explanation.

The important thing is to tell the absolute truth.

Thank you for your opinion. Basically, the arrest was caused by misunderstanding. I think I will find a good attorney.