Do I need a Status Info Letter from Selective Service?

apoorani

Hello,

I was on F1 & then H1-B status between ages of 18 & 26. I became an immigrant only after turning 26. Do I need to request the Selective Service for a status information letter and send it along with the N-400?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ram.

if u became a GC holder ...

...after you turned 26 yr old...you are ok.. no need to get any papers.

I do agree with kkboy that you are not 'required' to request a SIL from the SSS and since USCIS has your immigration records, they should be aware of your status. But remember that its the USCIS that you are dealing with. There have been several posts on this forum where in addition to some applicants who were not required to register with the SSS (just like you), even some female candidates were asked to bring SIL for their interview (go figure).

You can send the N-400 without the SIL but just to cover your bases, get the SIL for the interview (just in case and keep it as a backup document). Its so easy to get the SIL as they simply ask for your immigration records/I-94/arrival stamps.

in my case...

...I got GC barely 2 months after I turned 26. I did not send any extra stuff with my citi app. The only thing was, the IO actually checked my birthdate on my passport...and compared it to the GC date (on GC) and said "nice...no need of SS, you barely made it" :). So, ya he did check it during the interview and I wasn't RFE'd earlier