Do I need a Mexican visa to visit US consulate? Answer is Yes, for most Asians on vi!

Would you still go to mexico with out a visa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ybala

Registered Users (C)
Ok guys don’t sweat… For most of the nationals on US Visa (Most Asian expect for Japan), you need to get a Mexican visa to enter the country legally, that’s their rule. There is no concept of free-trade border zone applicable for Indian’s and other country nationals. All that apply only to NAFTA countries… As most Asians (Indians on the majority) visiting the consulate in mexico do it with out Mexican visa, which even I did first time, there is minimal risk as no one implements Mexican rules or may be there is no adequate officers on the border entry point… So there is no much posting on what could happen. First time I crossed the border looking at the post on various portals saying risk is minimum and false belief about free border zone of ~20mile etc. Which apparently do not apply to most of visa holders, Mexican consulate acknowledges this, they said there are many who cross our border but if caught will result in deporting… So next time I got an Mexican visa (~140$ ) and had to wait 3weeks for their clearance.!! (which seem to be lil too much .. checks..). There is no stamping on record on the entry in mexico.. but it was safety net!
But what the loophole: If you enter the post (like nogales) there are not any officer at the border post especially early morning (~8-9am) so you basically walk across the gated border… At noon there are few people just sitting out side the post so may be they can question you looking at your appearance.. Once you cross the border there are no one to check you so you are free to get your activity done and get back to US post and walk across.. As many do go out with out trouble, if something unforeseen happens you are basically stuck in the unknown land of course like most eastern countries, green bills will help you out!!. Its just additional risk every one takes do this expedition..

Purpose of my post is to get the facts straight and share my experience.. and its up the individual on the level of risk he or she is willing to take....

This links helps you iron out all the misconceptions..!!

http://www.littlerglobal.com/index.cfm?event=MigrationHeadlines&country=81

Excepts>>>

Who are visa nationals requiring business visas to enter Mexico for their U.S. embassy appointments?
A visa national is a foreign national requiring a visa to enter a specific country.
In Mexico, foreign nationals that are not from the following countries are visa nationals, and thus, require a visa to enter Mexico, even if they stay within the "border zone" :
Andorra
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Czech Republic
Chile
Costa Rica
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece Hong Kong
Hungary
Ireland
Iceland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Latvia
Lichtenstein
Lithuania
Luxemburg
Monaco
Norway
New Zealand
Poland
Portugal San Marino
Singapore
Slovenia
Slovakia
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
The Netherlands
United Kingdom
Uruguay
United States of America
Venezuela
If the foreign national is not from a country listed above, the foreign national must obtain a business visa to attend a U.S. embassy appointment before arriving in Mexico.

Hi Mr Bala,
I see that you did a lot of research on this issue but I'am afraid you didn't do complete research on it.
I went to the Mexican Embassy in person at Las Vegas branch and talked to the head consulate and he told me that up to 20 KM any country national can enter legally provided he resides there only for 72 hours. Beyond 72 hours you need a valid visa. I had confirmed his statement in many tourist wesites and mexican embassy website. I know you are concerned about the well wish others too but please don't post such issues without doing proper research.
Thank you in advance,
Kiran.

Well.. told still you need one..

Mr. mask369 /Kiran,
Well i checked with mexican consulate my self and the posting is after all the struggle with an intension to pass on right information till last month of 2006. On top i had a paid chat with a professional attorney to double check. They quote cases where people have got caught!, especially with visas and not on mexican list of countries... Click on the link and read the mendelson lawfirms research on this topic.. Read if full before giving your views dude..
Well thats the law, if its implemented or not is a different question!... which again is a different ball game.. chao guys.. take it easy..