Do I need a laywer?

standalone

Registered Users (C)
I am divorced after receiving conditional green card file separately to lift conditions.

- Can my wife testify that our marriage was in good faith? Would this be a good idea to consider?
- If I have strong evidence of a good faith marriage, do you think I should still hire a lawyer?

I also applied with a waiver (divorce). I did everything myself and got approved. I didn't send much stuff, but I recommend that you write a nice letter explaining the whole story of your marriage until the divorce. With that and all your usual stuff you should get approved even without an RFE or interview.

Ddudly,

Thank you for your reply. Please give me more information.
What documents did you submit? How long where you married? Where you asked for an interview?

Thanks again.

I was married from beginning of 2006 and got divorced by the end of 2008. But we only lived together for about 14 months. I didn't get divorce before because I was broke. I sent a 2 page letter explaining my story. I also sent a copy of debit cards (mine and hers, no statements). a health insurance policy (it was expired, from 2006). A residential lease. Copy of both driver's license showing same address. Tax return (for 2007 only) 2 affidavits (they were not notarized, just signed. The people who wrote it also included their phone number and about 10 pictures (mostly from the wedding I don't have many pictures at all) I had more stuff but I was waiting for an interview....... They never sent an RFE or called me for an interview.

I think you should apply alone. If something goes wrong then I would hire a lawyer. I will be honest with you, I think USCIS created this conditional green card thing just to get more money out of us. I think that very rarely they deny an application, but that is my opinion.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. That's helpful.

Sorry if this too personal. Who filed for divorce? You or your spouse? Do you think they look into that?

One would think who filed for divorce and why they did, would be part of your explanation you send USCIS. I'm sure they want to know, because if it was all legit then there is nothing to hide. It would also be better for you to tell them EVERYTHING.