Do I have any chance to get a asylum withour a lawyer?

Besa Sala

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know do I have any chance to get asylum without a lawyer?
I didn\'t apply yet, but first I wanna make sure if I could do it without a lawyer?
I am from Kosovo and I suffered a lot during the Kosovo-war, I am scared to go back there; on this basis
I hope to get a asylum, but I really don\'t know if they will grant me?
If anyone can answer I would really appreciate it!
Thank you!

No Title

You can go into the asylum process without lawyer. However, I advise you to first dedicate time to become familiar with the rules a regulations, know what is the criteria followed by INS to grant asylum, learn form past experiences of people from your country, be prepared for the process, etc. This take time, but specially you are required to be experienced in the process. This is way is advisable to have a good lawyer for the inital steps of the process. If your case is genuine, you really can do with or without lawyer, but you have to be prepared and aware of the procedure and rules and regulations. A good start is to visit INS web page. www.ins.usdoj.gov
Also, you can check for institutions that provide help to people like you at no cost or for very low fees. Good luck

No Title

Hi Alanpero,
Thank you for respond!
One more question please!
I want to apply for asylum but first I want to make sure that this won\'t damage my F-1(student visa).
 So, Can I apply for asylum, when I do already posses a F-1 visa?
For next year(July 2001- July 2002)I am going to extand my F-1 visa; it is not a problem, college that I attend will do it.
And, in the case they won\'t grant me asylum, what will happen with me and my F-1 visa. Would I still be able to stay in the USA on F-1 VISA?
thank you!

No Title

I do not foresee any problem on applying for asylum while having a F-1 visa. You can certainly apply, at least that is my understanding. Not being granted asylum shouldn\'t affect your F-1 visa and you could stay in the US provided you have a valid F-1 visa.
People that are not granted asylum go to a deportation procedure only when they do not have valid visa to legally stay in the US, which wouldn\'t be your case. Again, this is why I understand, better check with another source and let me know if I am wrong. Good luck

No Title

Hi again Alanpero,
Could you please tell me if I will be granted asylum will I be able to receive any kind of financial aid-
scholarship from government. Will I have to pay for the school as much as do americans pay? Or I will
have to pay the same as an international student?
Could you please list me the main benefits when one get granted asylum?
thank you very much!

No Title

I am not aware of any specific kind of financial aid-scholarship from government, though I have heard of institutions that provide support and orientation to asylees and you should check for them. The asylee status entitles you to pay school as resident; however, this might not apply to every state. You should check with your school and schools in other sates. Once you are granted asylum you practicaly get almost all the rigths and obligations of a US resident. Good luck

No Title

Yes, most colleges and universities (depending on their policies) will charge in-state resident tuition fee to asylee/refugees. It does not apply to every college/university so please check with the financial office etc. Also some college/universities have special conditions such as you have to live X months in the State/county to qualify for resident tuition fee etc. Best way to make it certain is to talk with the school\'s student advisor.

As for other benefits you will have to prove that you are in desperate need of assistance (no skills, no job, no relatives etc). Check with your local Social Security Office for the details.
While on the same topic I would like to advise my fellow asylees not to abuse the system. If you really don\'t need the unemployment benefits etc. please don\'t apply for them. The Asylum system is really instended to save lives and not for college tuition discounts etc.

No Title

INS asylum filing procedure does not say you must have a lawyer to file for asylum. It is entirely up to the applican\'t whther he wants to hire a lawyer or not.

If I were to express my opinion it depends on how complex your case is. The lawyer\'s function in a typical asylum case is to put his/her client\'s story into legal terms (You say cuts and bruises, the lawyer says "Evidences of Police brutality"). In most cases the lawyer will not help you find evidences (it\'s not his job in the first place) or write your story. If you have hired a lawyer you will have the luxury of picking up the phone and ask him any questions you may have about your case. The lawyer will be able to tell you about the latest changes in the asylum law, explain the complex immigration terms to you in simple english.

A lawyer\'s presence at the asylum interview will give you more confidence because the lawyer will make sure that the immigration officer does not ask you the questions that may be out of the boundaries of law.