Divorce after Naturalization

Anteah

Hi, I have a question. I've been married to my husband who is US Citizen for 11 years now, throughout this time I have acquired a GC and just 2 months ago became a naturalized citizen. My question may be somewhat unusual: what repercussions may follow if we divorce with my husband but continue to stay in relationship and continue to live together. See since the date that we have gotten married we both became disillusioned with the institution of marriage and especially now with the ongoing issue of gay marriage in California which for us represents what a farce the marriage really is, we would like to un-become the part of the lie so to speak and become divorced. However, as I've said before we still want to be together and will stay living together and will begin referring to each other as girlfriend and boyfriend. Considering that only 2 months have passed since my naturalization will it attract any undue attention from any direction/organization and am I risking my US Citizenship by divorcing in my particular situation?

Hi, I have a question. I've been married to my husband who is US Citizen for 11 years now, throughout this time I have acquired a GC and just 2 months ago became a naturalized citizen. My question may be somewhat unusual: what repercussions may follow if we divorce with my husband but continue to stay in relationship and continue to live together. See since the date that we have gotten married we both became disillusioned with the institution of marriage and especially now with the ongoing issue of gay marriage in California which for us represents what a farce the marriage really is, we would like to un-become the part of the lie so to speak and become divorced. However, as I've said before we still want to be together and will stay living together and will begin referring to each other as girlfriend and boyfriend. Considering that only 2 months have passed since my naturalization will it attract any undue attention from any direction/organization and am I risking my US Citizenship by divorcing in my particular situation?

You are a Citizen now and are free to do what you choose (as far as legal stuff). Its none of USCIS business unless an immigration fraud was commited.

That's awesome!!!...If anyone asks..just tell them what you told us. Maybe even mention miss California! :) And use the word Homosexual.:D