differnet name on social sec card and GC

parora

Registered Users (C)
All,
Thanks in advance for all the help. Here is the scenerio.....

My wife entered the US as a permanent resident 3 months ago with her MARRIED name. She had been in the US before, so already had a Socal Security (SS) number assigned which is on her MAIDEN name.

Now, while in the US, she is facing a problem as the SS number assigned to her does not match the name (after marriage name)on the GC. Apparently INS has not updated their records. She was denied a Calofornia drivers license.

2 questions

1) We talked to the SS office and they said its a INS thing.

all.....what to do? Whats the process and how long is INS taking to update? Should we do something?

2) Is it an issue if she works?

please any help is apprecaited.

puneet
408-394-3547

puneet:

What you need to do is approach the authority where her name needs to be changed to her married name. From what i understand your wife's SSN card is in maiden name which needs to be changed hence you need to approach SSA office. Here are some things that you will need to do:

1. You will need to provide SSA office with a marriage certificate to prove the name change.

2. Also long term you may want to apply for your wife;s new passport with her married name. Process is simple ...download new passport form from consulate web site, fill it out..include the fees as suggested, provide current passport, provide notarized marriage certificate...it generally takes less than 2 weeks.

If 1 does not work with SSA office do 2 and then go to SSA office.

Again since your wife has a GC she is eligible to work based on her alien number (A#...) and should not need a SSN card although if it is there and if it is correctly named then that is even better. My wife started working in dec 03 after we got our GC and thats the only document (physical gc) she had to show to her employer (not asked for SSN card).