Did we make a mistake?

dan dan

Registered Users (C)
I believe Consular processing is very fast these days...did we all make a big mistake going thru the I485 route?

No Title

Hi Dan Dan,

I certainly believe so...going thru this 485 route is probably
the biggest mistake(barring some conditions...like H1 six year limit around the corner etc.)...several friends of mine who started their
process (applying for LC) just about the time I applied for
485, already got their approvals (they went thru CP)...and they keep
asking me, as to what\'s happening with my case...

Srini

No Title

Yes. I was looking at it in Aug 99 and would have got it by Oct 99 if gone by that route. Now it\'s more than 18 months and the job market is going bonkers!!

No Title

yes, I agree.. A fellow Igate employee changed to couns Proc back in nov 2000 and he got his plasctic card in hand by jan2001

No Title

dont agonize, folks.

i did this analysis, and concluded that CP had a small probablity of something going very badly wrong (kinda like a nasty car accident), and if that was rejected on the whim of some guy, u would be out of the US forever.

i would rather take chances with vsc, and all 180 day rule shit etc. all i can say is that i know desi people who filed 485 without even being employed with the sponsor company, and never worked for them even 1 day after the GC, and nothing happened. i have also seen all kinds of layoffs 180d,

No Title

nonu gaddam! Who is agonizing whom?

I believe CP is the fastest mode of getting GC. You can save more than one year of wait period compared to I-485 processing. But, there are some rumours of cancellation of CP application due to inadequate documents like birth certificate, employment letters. If you are confident of your paper work, then CP is the best choice in current ( slowing economy scenario). But, CP and I-485 has its own pros and cons.

Cons of CP:
1) Need to travel back-forth to your Native country (which also involves vacation).
2) Possibility of GC rejection due to insufficient documents.
3) Cannot come back to US because your Visa is no longer valid.

Just an suggestion. Better consult a attorney who does the additional ripoff.

No Title

I didn\'t mean to make anyone regret their decision. I just wanted people who are just starting the process to know that there is a faster alternative. When my company filed my I485 it was for some reason forwarded to the NIV (is that correct? ) which is how I came to know about Consular Procesing. When I asked the paralegal handling my case she wasn\'t even aware of such an option. I then started further investigation which is how I stumbled on this site. At that time, Oct 99, Chennai wasn\'t accepting many CP cases. Mumbai was so I gave up the idea as I would fall under Chennai\'s jurisdiction. Later when Chennai started accepting CP cases in large numbers I\'d already been in the I485 queue for many months and so did not want to rock the boat. I guess it all depends on your luck to some extent.
Now it\'s too late as I should be getting my approval very soon. So those of you filing I485 now..take a look at CP.