Desperately need help/go back to school, what to do?

K Lee

Registered Users (C)
I will go to B school full time this August, meaning I will have to leave my current job. My I485 case (sponsored by my current employer) is pending for a long time: EB12, Wac-01-237-xxxxxx; rd:5/17/01; nd: 7/8/01; ap: 8/15/01; fp:5/1/02, RFE:8/02, RFE response received by INS:10/2/02. Faxed several times since 12/02. I was told that the case has been assigned to an officer. In case that I don’t get my approval by this August, what can I do? Is it legal that I have a deal with my employer so that the card process continues while I transfer from my current H1 to F1 visa? Will the case proceed automatically if I leave the company without any deal, like in the case of job change? Do I have any other options? Guru, please share your experience and opinion.
Thanks in advance for your help.

K Lee

My $0.02..

1) You have filed for 485 , there is no chance at all that you can get a F visa.
2) Your best bet is to hope that your 485 is approved with no further rfes or interviews.
3) Do not leave your company unless you get your 485 approved...if the B school demands that you apply for a F status right away...stall or try to get your admission delayed by a semester or a quarter.
4) if you leave your employer then as long as your 485 is pending you are in good status...however if the INS asks for EVL or paystubs ..you have got to have a job similar to what you currently have.
5) My recomendation is keep calling IIOs , ask your lawyer to fax level2 , level3 enquiries, keep your job, until August...at that time if you 485 has come thru..youare fine otherwise..try to delay your admission for a semester or a quarter.

I am sure

that your case will soon be approved.
Draw the parallel to my case: wac-01-232-.....

rd:5/01; nd: 7/01; ap: 7/01; fp:11/09/02, RFE:9/02, RFE response received by INS:9/27/02

Approved on 3/18/03

I have a feeling your case will soon be adjudicated.
Keep up ur spirits.

Leaving your job and changing to F status at this juncture does not seem to be a good idea. Stick to your job till your 485 gets approved and then do whatever you want. Since you are in AOS, you can go to school parttime without affecting any status. Full time school is not possible however with current status.