DESI ... and ... TRUE COLORS

Cheekoo

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friendzzzz

Company A is my sponsor, I have passed the stages of LC/I140/EAD/AP. Not expecting GC before June 2004.

* On my Labour Cert my salary will be $46,000/-

* Currently I have started working with same Company A on the basis of EAD but at this time they are paying me $15/hour as their project is not started yet and they will put me on the promissed pay level once GC is approved.

* The company A's accountant, a Desi, suggested that I should get my Pay Check as per $46,000/- and accordingly pay Taxes on $46,000/- .

The tricky part is, he wants me to take out cash, keep my share @15/hr and return the remaining amount to the company as cash. This is impossible for me to do as I will be paying my entire earning in Taxes.

My Questions are ;

1, Do I have any better choice ?

2, While working with EAD with Company A, do I have to file tax for $46,000/- can't I show the actual earnings and pay as per actuall earnings ?

I wud appreciate your suggestions / Comments.

Regards

Yes!! you have choice-
Look for a new job and employer with similar work what is mentioned in your LC, no need to get stuck with the sponsering company.

Make sure you join the new job as a W-2 full time employee.

You are paid 46K officially. You must pay the taxes accordingly.
You are giving back CASH unofficially to desi firm. They are getting that money free of tax. More over they get tax reduction on company tax returns on basis of 46K.

Find out if they accept that kick back through your check. Definitely not.

per waitinNJ try joining new company. BUT
When you join a new company do not forget to inform IRS about company A what they are doing with some evidence.

Also remember to pay taxes for the amount you received. Else it is irreversable damage.

Thanx GC.

I have not yet started taking any money from the company. and my first check is still pending ..

Can we still reverse it and they may not show me on W2 at this time ..... ? ot till I get GC

Cheekoo....you are OK

You came here on a B1 visa got a shortcut to the GC process by getting a pre-approved LC. Your hourly rate has gone up from $8 to $15. What are you complaining about? For your GC application to be valid you will have to pay the taxes on the salary mentioned on the LC either by your employer or by the arrangement you currently have.
If you had tried getting a pre approved LC and conversion to H1 status from a American company you would have know how difficult it is to do that.
If you do not like your situation use AC - 21 as soon as you can and get a better job that pays well.
Just look around you will find plenty of people who have really been taken for a ride by desi companies - you my friend certainly are not one of them.

Do not worry. Once you are earning for them and they are billing on you, they will pay you. If they pay they know that they MUST give you W2.
Problem will come if you are on bench and they are not earning on you or there is no money transactions involving you.

As far as possible communicate through email, not by telephone. Save those emails - it will become handy in case of need. Do educated communications.

My two cents

EAD does not require you to work 40 hours min per week. You can get paid at $30/hour rate 20 hours a week. Talk to your HR. Most companies do this.