derivative asylee home visit ????

clinton

Registered Users (C)
I want to find out the experience of any derivative asylee's home country visit after getting GC.

Any problem in thier home country at the time of entry or exit or while coming back to US at airport immigration.

thanks in advance.

clinton said:
I want to find out the experience of any derivative asylee's home country visit after getting GC.

Any problem in thier home country at the time of entry or exit or while coming back to US at airport immigration.

thanks in advance.

Hi,
I was in my home country about 5 times as a derivative asylee. The country I am from is however not the same as my wife's, who is the principal asylee. I would never travel to her country, that could geopardize my status as an asylee. I had called INS and asked about going to my country and they said no problem. I also consulted with my immigration lawyer. The border immigration officer always asked if I had traveled to my home country. I said yes and explained that I'm a derivative asylee. They let me in without a problem every time. Without a problem means that I had to wait in a room with other people whose status had to be verified. Once I was interviewed in a private room by an immigration official.
I got approved for GC last week.

Don't forget you need a valid refugee travel document. Advance parole is an option in case you have a valid national passport. I also assume you have your i-485 pending. Oh, you mentioned you have a green card already, so in that case you don't need an advance parole, but either valid national passport or a refugee travel document. Asylees are expected to travel for "bona fide" reasons only (family emergency or similar matters). In my case it was business related travel. The immigration officer adviced to me to bring a letter from my employer next time, which would explain that on my job I am required to travel to that particular country.
In general, if you have a GC, you should be completely fine to travel anywhere, except to the country where your principal asylee is from.

!!!!! Please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer, so act accordingly. This is my personal experience, that's all. Every immigration officer is different and you depend on their mood/mercy to let you in. !!!!!

Good luck,
inline

Last edited by a moderator: