Dependent Child

vipdue

Registered Users (C)
The N400 Interview Document List states "7. If you have a dependent spouse or children ... bring copies of court orders .. and proof of payments."

Im not sure what its meaning is exactly.

My child, 9 years old, is living with his mother(my ex-wife) in Uruguay. Is he my dependent child? Does it require me to provide the proof of payments? Uruguay Court requires me to support my child 10 years ago. but I and my ex-wife already agreed that she is responsible to bring him up and I will be responsible for his school in US in future.

Im wondering...

Pls help me.

Yes, a 9yr old would generally be considered a dependent child, and USCIS is probably going to want to make sure you are providing support as agreed with the Uruguayn court. Since you seem to have reached a different understanding with your ex, you might want to see if you can formalize this somehow, so you have proof for the IO.

I would think that since he is not supporting or living with this child, and also not trying to bring the child to the US at this time (unless he is), his son would just be his child, not a dependent child of his.

But don't listen to me on this, as I am just guessing. Find out the official definition of "dependent child".

The trouble is, a deadbeat dad doesn't live with or support their child, but that doesn't absolve them from the responsibility... maybe time to consult a professional?

The trouble is, a deadbeat dad doesn't live with or support their child, but that doesn't absolve them from the responsibility... maybe time to consult a professional?
We shouldn't call anybody deadbeat, as we don't know the details of the arrangement ... maybe the poster has been depositing thousands of dollars into a fund for the kid's college education, while the ex-wife takes care of the day-to-day expenses.

We shouldn't call anybody deadbeat, as we don't know the details of the arrangement ... maybe the poster has been depositing thousands of dollars into a fund for the kid's college education, while the ex-wife takes care of the day-to-day expenses.

I most certainly wasn't calling the OP a deadbeat. :eek: I was merely trying to illustrate my point that just because a parent doesn't live with their child, they are not absolved from the responsibility for supporting that child.