Departure Reporting For People of SR Country and some more stuff.

Jharkhandi

Registered Users (C)
I was talking to a friend of mine last week, who is from a special registration country. He was not aware of Departure Reporting process and hence this thread.

For latest info from ICE, check:

http://www.ice.gov/graphics/specialregistration/index.htm

It is useful resource for people born in SR countries.

If you are born in any SR country but citizen of non SR country - you still need to follow SR regulations. For example - if you are citizen of India - but born in Pakistan - you have to register under SR.

There is a separate form AR-11SR for address change reporting for people of SR countries.

Now coming to the point:

DHS Special Registration (or NSEERS)

It stands for National Security Entry Exit Registration System.

Check:

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=91&content=4095

Changes in Regulations

Follow-Up Reporting No Longer Required

Effective December 2, 2003, the requirement of annual follow-up reporting was eliminated. Also eliminated was the requirement of follow-up reporting 30-40 days after entry into the United States. Other aspects of Special Registration, such as departure reporting, and port of entry registration are still in existence.

Also, consular officers and immigration inspectors can, for selected individuals, require follow-up reporting after entry into the United States. People will not be required to report after entry into the United States unless specifically instructed to do so.

Address Change Reporting Procedures

The new regulation has clarified the address reporting requirement. Individuals affected by Special Registration must report changes of address AND university transfers within 10 days of the change. Prior to the new regulation, Special Registrants were required to report changes of address on a special address change notification form, AR-11SR. Now, address changes and university transfers can be reported via the SEVIS system alone for F-1 and J-1 visa holders. Form AR-11SR is no longer required of F-1 and J-1 visa holders provided the change is reported in the SEVIS system. Changes of universities will be also reported in the SEVIS system through normal transfer procedures.

However, all other foreign nationals, including US permanent residents, who are on visa status other than F-1 and J-1 and affected by Special Registration, must file AR-11SR within 10 days of moving. Also, if F-2/J-2 dependents are living in the US separately from the F-1/J-1, and if the dependents are affected by Special Registration, the dependents must file AR-11SR when they move to another address. They must do so within 10 days of moving.

Detailed information about the changes to Special Registration is available at the US Immigration Customs and Enforcement (ICE) website.

Registration Procedures
There have been two methods used by the Department of Homeland Security to enroll individuals in the Special Registration Program. One was "call-in" registration, which required people who were already in the United States and who met certain criteria to physically report to a district DHS office. The other method has been "port-of-entry" registration in which people were enrolled by the DHS inspector upon arrival into the United States. The "call-in" registration is no longer in effect. The "port-of-entry" registration is now the only method DHS uses to enroll people in the Special Registration program.

Who is affected?

Special Registration requirements can be applied to individuals from ANY country. The requirements have primarily been applied to males ages 16-45 from the following countries however: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, Lebanon, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.

How Do I Know if I am Registered?

During the special registration process, the DHS inspector will take fingerprints and photographs. The inspector will write a Fingerprint Identification Number (FIN#) on the I-94 card of the specially registered person. If your I-94 card has a FIN# written on it, you are enrolled in the Special Registration program. Your enrollment remains "open" until you leave the United States after having an exit interview with a DHS officer.

FIN# is very important document. Please keep it safely.

Departure Reporting
Anyone enrolled in Special Registration must have an exit interview. If you leave the US, including traveling out of the US even for only a short period of time, you must appear in person before an immigration inspecting officer at the airport from which you leave the US. (If you transfer planes within the U.S., you must report to the immigration officer at the last U.S. airport of your trip.) The airport must be one of the designated ports of departure, and you must leave the US from that port on the same day.

If you do not go through the exit interview with a DHS officer, your Special Registration file will remain "open." You are likely to be denied a new entry visa for failure to go through the exit interview. You are also likely to be denied entry into the United States even if you have a valid visa, if the DHS records show you did not go through the exit interview. It is possible to request from DHS, in advance, an exception from the departure reporting requirement. Such exceptions require a showing of very unusual circumstances however. It is best to plan your flight times with the exit interview requirement in mind. It is important to go through the exit interview, even if it means missing a flight.

What to Bring
When you enter or depart from the U.S, bring the items below:
1. Complete Biographical Information form (Check USCIS website)
2. Passport
3. I-94
4. I-797 (if you have one - e.g. H, O, L visa holders), I-20 (for F-1) or IAP-66/DS-2019 (for J-1) or any other form of government-issued identification you have, e.g. driver's license, state ID card, national identity card, birth certificate, etc.
5. Proof of residence, e.g. apartment lease or rental agreement, transcript of academic courses showing current address
6. Proof of employment, if any, e.g. letter from employer describing current employment, paystubs, etc. (be sure you are also prepared to demonstrate that any employment was authorized under the immigration laws and regulations,)
7. Credit Card, if any.
8. Letter from employer about your legal status (for students letter from ISSS indicating that you are maintaining your legal status)

The immigration officer may ask questions, which you must answer. The immigration officer may record your answers.

The immigration officer may ask you to produce other information or documents at a later time. The immigration officer will take your photograph and fingerprints at the time of registration.

Failure to Comply
Any affected individual who fails to follow these requirements may lose his immigration legal status.

If you are required to report to the immigration office for Special Registration (or NSEERS) and you failed to report, please consult an immigration attorney immediately!

Also check:

http://www.amcits.com/nseers.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Jharkhandi said:
Forgot to post:

If you enter on Green Card/AP - you do not have to undergo the exit interview again.
Very Important Stuff for Special Registrants (SR), thanks Jharkhandi.

Exit Special registration helpq

HI,
I am on vacation in Pakistan and getting my H-1B stamped.
Upon leaving Boston, i was told i did not have to register and therefore left the US without registering.
Now that i am here in Pakistan, i am told i should have registered at the airport.
What should i do now when i get back to the US?
Is there anything i can do here while i am waiting for my H-1b to be stamped?
I do not want to go to the US and then have them send me back.
Please help.
Thanks
Sami

samikhan1 - Regarding missed Exit Interview

samikhan1 OR Anybody with Pertinent Information:

Can you kindly post your experience regarding your entry to US after failing to conduct exit interview with DHS. Did you perform any extra measures with US Embassy to straighten this lapse of confusion.

Anybody else, with pertinent information in this regard, is more than welcome to post relevant information in this matter. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

HI,
I am on vacation in Pakistan and getting my H-1B stamped.
Upon leaving Boston, i was told i did not have to register and therefore left the US without registering.
Now that i am here in Pakistan, i am told i should have registered at the airport.
What should i do now when i get back to the US?
Is there anything i can do here while i am waiting for my H-1b to be stamped?
I do not want to go to the US and then have them send me back.
Please help.
Thanks
Sami

Sami could u please tell us what was outcome of ur case. I am in similar situation.
thanks

Hi,
I had posted earlier that i had left the US without registering and had to return to the US with my H-1B stamped. In my situation, i had talked to a lawyer in Boston, my port of entry, and she talked to the people in the airport and explained the situation. Luckily in my case, my h-1b was going to be stamped in Pakistan adn therefore was a new visa that was being issued to me. This means that with my H-1B stamped, i would be entering the US on a new visa and would not be expected to have registered on departure from the US. This might be a bit confusing, but basically, if you have a visa stamped on your passport and will be re-entering the US with the same visa then you have to get registeration on departure and on entry. On the other hand, if you leave the US and then enter with a new visa, then you should be ok and can register when you enter.
So, Mr. Shafiq, if you are going to enter the US on a new visa in October of 2007, then i think you should be ok because your new visa will not have any record of whether you registered on your past visa.
Please keep in mind that i am not an immigration lawyer and what happened to me was 2 years ago, so rules might have changed. Please let me know if you have any other questions and i will try to help you.
Thanks