Delhi, Jan 2002 interview:: list of documents and fundas

cp_waiter1

Registered Users (C)
I am going to start a new thread for Delhi Jan appointment, list of documents and fundas. The other thread seems to be becoming too long.

Question about tax returns

Excellent writeup Sudhir.

I have read on this forum about sailing permit, most of the people claim we don\'t need this. Do we really need to get this from the IRS office or are the tax returns for last 3 years sufficient.

Hardly any questions asked.

All depends on the mood of the interviewer.
General Q\'s that I have followed:

Where do u work, company name, How long have you been in the US. Are you going back to work for the same company etc.

Sailing permit is required only if u are leaving the country permanently.

This basically states you owe nothing to the IRS.
I havent seen any post where this document was asked. I asked my lawyer also about this and she says it is not a requirement. So I am not planning to carry it.

Since in our case we are coming back (hopefully!!!), we dont need this.

Just carry last 3 yrs tax returns copies. If you want to carry a concise copy, call IRS for FREE tax transcripts at
1-800-829-1040 follow the prompts
      Option 2
      option 1
      SSN
      Address digits
      option 1
      option 4 - for both account and return transcripts.

For each year select the last options again. They mail you the transcripts in about 2 weeks.

question about demand drafts

can we combine the application fees for all(self, spouse and child)
in one draft and issuance fees for all 3 in another single draft?

any inputs?

Yeah man. I confirmed this from Delhi Embassy on my last call.

Can pay $ cash and TC\'s.
Can someone else reconfirm the same please.

Message from lawyer

we received a notice today from the
     American Immigration Lawyers Association (of which we are members) today
     regarding changes in processing in India. We have copied that notice below.
     Please pay attention to #1 and #2. We have not been able to verify this
     information through the Consulates in India, but just in case, you should be
     aware of the possibility that you need police certificates now, whereas this
     was not required initially.

================================================================

CONSULATE GENERAL OF THE
     UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

FOR ALL IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICANTS:
     IMPORTANT NOTICE

1. As of January 1, 2002, ALL immigrant visa applicants over age 16
     MUST present Indian Police Certificates. Two certificates must be obtained
     as follows: 1) a certificate from your local police station; 2) a
     certificate from your Regional Passport Office.

2. For security reasons, applicants are NOT permitted to carry sealed
     envelopes into the Consulate, except for the medical report from the panel
     physician. When you appear for your interview, please remove all required
     documents from envelopes prior to entering the building. The Medical Report
     SHOULD REMAIN SEALED.

3. Please read carefully the requirements regarding evidence of
     financial support in the U.S. Please bring ALL required documents from the
     petitioner and (if required) the joint sponsor on your FIRST visit. AVOID
     THE EXPENSE AND INCONVENIENCE OF A SECOND TRIP TO THE CONSULATE. NO
     EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE REGARDING SPONSORS\' MINIMUM INCOME REQUIREMENTS.

No Title

Sudhir, www.immigration-law.com is a very reliable site and AILA represents all immigration lawyers in the US. They hold conferences with INS etc. Shit man... I have this sinking feeling that PCC from consulate might not be it after all. AILA has a website www.aila.org. Someone wants to call them?
On the other hand whatever comes from AILA will reach your lawyer in a day or two. So you are probably going to be hearingfrom your lawyer anyway which will then get this thing clarified once and for all. Shit... man... another ound of same PCC crap...

<B>Srifix</B> - The rightful owner of this list

Guys the rightful owner of the Mother of all documents list is Srifix... It might not be very important at this stage for u guys but i couldn\'t resist giving him the credit and acknowledment thats due to him...
Srifx &quot;CP success in Chennai - SriFX&quot; 5/29/01 4:26pm

I BELIEVE &amp; HOPE that US consulates in India will be more flexible towards PCC stuff for JAN CP guys cos\' i remember the statement of the head of US consulate in Bombay in 1993 - &quot;I know u can get any kind of paper (certificate, dosuments etc) out there on the streets (u know where, though it applies to all most all of the world and not just OUR country)&quot;.
Good Luck :)

Guys relax.

Guys SKAREKAT posted this a few days back.
SudhirKumar &quot;LETS START JAN 2002 APPOINTMENT, DELHI THREAD.&quot; 12/12/01 3:09pm

This is what is being mailed in P4 Mumbai. We should be also geting the same.

Now since we have confirmed from Delhi US Consulate in the past 3 days almost 5-6 times from different members of the forum.
I think we should be fine.

Anyway lets try and figure out some more details on this PAINFUL ISSUE.

Question about form 9003

Guys, do we need a SSN / TIN for every applicant.
My wife is on H4 and so not eligible for SSN, she has not applied for TIN yet. Somebody was telling me that one needs to have SSN / TIN for form 9003 which is needed for CP.

Can somebody please confirm that, if yes, then I need to get a TIN for her immediately.

sailing permit required!

sudhir,

thanks for the info for the tax transcript.

but your information on sailing permit is not correct!

I have aIRS documnetation: you should also be able o search it on web(i hav hard copy)Publication 513, cat. umber 15017P.

which clearly states who all needs saling permit.

the only category excluded from sailing permit requiremnt are people on F1, F2, H3, H4, J1 , J2 AND Q visa.

and people in H1 MUST GET sailing permit. This has also been confirmed to me by IRS office in detrit when i visted them personnaly.

even if u go out temporarily from US. u must file sailing permit!this is esy guys. no big deasl..just alk in any IRS office and u wil have it in your hands in 5 min.

what to tke with you:

your last pay stub.
your passport.
your driver license.
proff of your return jouney. either tickey or confirmation of ticket fromtravel agent.

and most important: you can only take sailing permit within your last 30 days before departure from USA.

so if you have more than 30 days to fly out then wait and get it later before your fly.as sailing poermit is validfor 30 days only.so if you take a long time before travel. then it may not be vaid for your date of travel.

can I get sailing permit by mail??

Guys,
Can I get sailing permit by mail without going personally to IRS office?? My wife is on H4 and doesn\'t have SS# how can I apply for ITIN # from IRS?? How long it takes?? Please help...

Thanks in advance

cp_waiter : are you filling up taxes for the first time in US as married person ?

You don\'t need to get a new TIN number for 9003 purpose if your wife has one!! Just FYI.

If your wife doesn\'t have TIN number, better apply for it now at IRS office as it takes around 1 month to get it.

Thanks
&nbsp;Vishal

answer!

no sailing permit can not be given via email. as i require the physical presence of the person who is applying for sailing permit. so do not enen send anyone else on your behalf..it will not work.

for ITIN when u apply for the sailing permit. take your wife alongith.

andf then aply for ITIN in the same place . they will give a recipt of the application. you shold ge ITIN number in 8-10 weeks.

but then show that recipt to US embasy if you have intevoew before !

sudhir

yes you r right sudhir...but as per the books it is a legal requirement. so better to take it! u never know what they may ask as this things are very much changing now a days. Even your customs people may ask for it..