Delaying Oath ceremony: concerns

gundamma02

Registered Users (C)
I passed the citizenship interview and I have received an oath ceremony date: June 23rd, 2006. I will, however, be traveling outside the country between the end of June and the end of August, 2006. I plan to send the the oath notice back to Boston USCIs and ask them to reschedule it after I return. My concerns:
1. Can I be sure they will reschedule it after I return (post-September)?

2. Is it permissible to travel outside the country for 2 months between interview and oath?

3. I'm traveling to India to get married. I plan to get a marriage certificate there. My husband-to-be is a green card holder; he'll apply for citizenship on his own at a later date. My citizenship application does not include him in any way. When I originally filed, I filed as "single." I noticed that on the oath form, there is a question as to whether my marital status has changed between interview and oath, and a request for proof of documentation. Is a marriage certificate from India (Bangalore) sufficient proof?
Thanks!

ans: they are supposed to reschedule you
according to your request. But the exact date
is not certain.

2. Is it permissible to travel outside the country for 2 months between interview and oath?

ans: of course! as long as you do not
overstay (e.g. exceeding 6 months),
you are ok.

3. I'm traveling to India to get married. I plan to get a marriage certificate there. My husband-to-be is a green card holder; he'll apply for citizenship on his own at a later date. My citizenship application does not include him in any way. When I originally filed, I filed as "single." I noticed that on the oath form, there is a question as to whether my marital status has changed between interview and oath, and a request for proof of documentation. Is a marriage certificate from India (Bangalore) sufficient proof?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

ans: congrat! The marriage is as important
as the citizenship. Be sure to get your certificate
notarized!

If you can alter your travel plans, consider doing that. If you can attend the oath on 6/23, you still can get the passport the next day, with confirmed travel plans, and the visa to travel to India the following day in NY Consulate.

Oath can be postponed, but USCIS has messed up in numerous cases to delay the completion of the process. In the worst case, they never process the oath delay request, stating that they never got it, and it did cost an applicant the whole process ($$ and time), since they considered the application abandoned as the applicant didn't show up for the oath.

Just remember that you are a green card holder, until you complete the oath. So all the rules relating to continouous residency, etc. still apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ,

I have a similar situation like yours. When i interviewed earlier this month, they gave me an oath date of 9th June - which is one day before my wedding. My wedding is not in the US. So i told the officer and he was ok about it. His precise comments were " everyone has a life outside citizenship process". He noted in my application that i will be out of the country till the end of June and that i should be scheduled with an oath ceremony after. If i don't hear from them, he said i should call the helpline in a month.

Hope that helps!
CTCitizen2006

I can answer your 1st question out of experience. I did reschedule my oath date (Boston DO) by sending a note with the oath date letter. They very kindly accomodated my request. So I feel you should be ok with it (If handled like mine).

I got my new date for June 14. And I am still not ready for getting naturalized though. This is because I am doing some procedure in my country of origin which will be tremendously expedited if done with the current citizenship. Short story: I am hoping to write another letter to USCIS to reschedule to later in the year (nov 2006). I wonder if I can push it that far out! Anyone with experience please let me know. That will push me almost 8-9 months from interview date.

I appreciate any input!

gundamma02 said:
I passed the citizenship interview and I have received an oath ceremony date: June 23rd, 2006. I will, however, be traveling outside the country between the end of June and the end of August, 2006. I plan to send the the oath notice back to Boston USCIs and ask them to reschedule it after I return. My concerns:

Thanks!

gundamma congrats kanri!
anyways ,why not wait for a month and get ur oath..........well for the documents from bangalore ,this is the thing...
first alli thavu marriage na register madthira...second you are gonna get seperate affidavits from ur parents and his parents ....then u have to get that notarized obviously...
once you get back u have to come down to houston and get the affidavit attested from indian embassy...
all of the above is just a precautionary measure....
coz the crackpots might always say that the docs are not genuine...atleast thts what they did to me....i had to go through this coz uscis would not accept by bc from bangalore as it has my initials on it and not my full name....
so i had to get a affidavit from parents and then attested here at the embassy...