delaying consular processing

networker1

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to switch from I485 to consular processing?
2. For consular processing, is there a way to postpone
the interview ( I want to get married before I really appear
for the interview). If so how long can I postpone the interview? Specifically, does the processing lapse if I don't attend the interview/postpone it after the interview is scheduled.

Would really appreciate any answers,

thanks,

networker1

Originally posted by networker1
Hi there,

I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to switch from I485 to consular processing?
2. For consular processing, is there a way to postpone
the interview ( I want to get married before I really appear
for the interview). If so how long can I postpone the interview? Specifically, does the processing lapse if I don't attend the interview/postpone it after the interview is scheduled.

Would really appreciate any answers,

thanks,

networker1

Yes, you can switch to consular processing by filing I-824. It can take 2-6 months for I-824 to get approved. Once I-824 is approved, expect another 2-4 months before consular interview.
If you still want to postpone, oyu can do so by requesting the consulate directly. However, it is not advisable to postpone more than a few months.

If you do not show up at the interview, your application will be considered abandoned.

Why are you considering not attending the interview?

Hi Nkm,

thanks for the quick reply.

To answer your question, I understand that one needs to get married before the consular inteview happens right? Otherwise, I would land up in spouse immigration problems, I am told. At least for I485 that is the case. So I was trying to get the maximum window before which marriage needs to happen. If they allow the interview to be postponed, that will really help.

networker1

Marriage need not take place before the interview. But it
MUST take place before the primary applicant ( You) enter
US as an Immigrant.

The time period given is 6 months from the date of interview for
you to enter US.

Raju

networker1,

I believe, officially u can postpone interview to 1 year rom ur interview date. If u do not attend within 1 year, ur immigrant application will be cancelled. I read this in chennai consulate site, as far as I remember. But do confirm this from attorney.

Many people do combine marriage with CP, so that they get married either before interview or after interview, but defintely before landing at POE.

Goodluck
Virginia Boy

RE: when is best time to get married

Hi,

It is nice that someone finally bring the issue for marriage certificate providing time frame at CP. I am waiting for lawyer to send out fee bill $335 now. Bad news is that company changed to new lawyer who is not familiar with consular process. lawyer even wanted to transfer my case back to I-485. For my insistance, they decide to continue my consular process. Thanks god at this point. However, it comes another issue for marriage certificate. My previous lawyer suggests me to provide marriage certificate when my case sends to consular (AIT). Then he will write letter to inform AIT to also schedule spouse for interview at same time with mine. I would like to hear you guys' suggestion when is the best time to provide it which won't cause futher delay. Time consuming is pretty important for me since consular process got to be sure about job security. Thanks!

mlin144

Marriage and I-485

Why go through the pain of conversion to CP from 485 etc.? If marriage is the only issue.... I think you can get married until the day before approval and still apply for a derivative 485 for your spouse.

Ofcourse, as always, this opinion is not a 100% professional legal advise. Please consult a qualifed attorney before deciding on any course of action.