Daughter needs to have her Certificate of Naturalization?

rzhao

My daughter has got her US Passport since she's under 18 years old and both parents have been the US citizens of naturalization. My question is does she still need to apply (form N-600) a US citizenship as getting her Certificate of Naturalization? Is it needed to prove her US citizenship or her valid US passport is good enough?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Rene Zhao

rzhao said:
My daughter has got her US Passport since she's under 18 years old and both parents have been the US citizens of naturalization. My question is does she still need to apply (form N-600) a US citizenship as getting her Certificate of Naturalization? Is it needed to prove her US citizenship or her valid US passport is good enough?

Thanks,
Rene Zhao

How do you think she is going to renew her passport 40 years from now? Ask yourself this question and you will recognize that eventually she would need to have the Certificate.

I don't know

Well, I'm a USC by birth and I don't have to show my birth certificate when I renew my passport, nor any other proof of citizenship than my old, expired passport. Why would anybody treat this girl differently?

I read a recent local case of a man who was illegally adopted as a small child. Apparently some 2nd cousin of his (apparent) mom had a baby (him) and gave it over to his (apparent) Mom. He has no birth certificate. There is no record of his birth. Even though he went to 12 years of public school, served in the army ect., he never had a birth certificate and somehow managed to live without it. Well, now, he, 57 years old, can't get a passport or prove his citizenship. He just wanted to go on a cruise.

But he just got tired of messing with it and took a chance. He recently left the country and reentered - carrying with him many pounds of paper detailing his long life in USA. They let him back in - after a couple of hours' delay at the port of entry.

But if your daughter can get this certificate of citenzenship without major hassles, it's probably worth it.

-Ocelot

rzhao said:

Thanks,
Rene Zhao

I would highly recommend to apply for the certificate as well. The US passport will suffice to prove her citizenship.

I think you only need to send the expired passport to renew the passport. You need to send the original Naturalization or Citizenship certificate when you apply for the passport the first time. I don't know how it works if your passpoet is lost or stolen. In that event you may have to send in a copy of your previous passport and/or Citizenship certificate.

Althouh, US passport is a enough proof of the citizenship, it always better to have certificate of citizenship just incase there are any questions in the future.

I was researching this subject, since I had a similar situation with my daughter. It is not a requirement to get this certificate, but is highly recommended. What if you loose your passport?!
Be prepared for a loooooong waiting time to get the certificate, since it is "no a high priority" for immigration service. They told me it could take up to 8 (eight!!!) years... but who cares!