Dates of employment......help??

sultan100

Registered Users (C)
There is a requirement on the N-400 to list past 5 years employment and residence along with dates. I can get the year of employment from the tax returns but I can barely remember the exact starting and ending dates of employment. What should I do?

I will really appreciate and help/comment.

Thanks.

Five years is a long time to remember exact dates you started work or left to join another company, so we understand the dilemma. Even though Naturalization process is not dependent on your Employment record, USCIS wants to see what you have been doing during the last five years, have you been filing taxes, and do you have good moral character to be a US Citizen.

If you remember the names of the companies you worked for, you can start by calling them to find the dates of your employment (they are required to maintain that information by law). If you cannot find that information (if company has ceased to exist) then use your best judgment about the dates.
judgement.

Hope it helps.

I would not be overly concerned. When I completed my N-400 I had 24 years of history to resurrect and document !!!! Guess what? I did not rememeber all the details and so I did the very best I could.

I would suggest you make a good-faith estimate and concentrate on getting the last five years as accurate as you possibly can.

I agree with the rwsh's comment to do the best you can. Sometimes exact dates are no longer available, and USCIS don't seem unhappy to accept month/year guesstimates.