Darn Marriage certificate requirements

Amit1793

Registered Users (C)
Hi! I'm a H1-b visa holder, and will be getting married in New Delhi India in November. My spouse obviously needs to get a H-4 visa for which the marriage certificate is a neccissity.

My question: We're planning to have a regular Hindu wedding. Does the priest simply issue a marriage certificate - is that good enough? Or do I need to have registered marriage done in court? I'm just confused on what needs to get done to have the marriage certificate in hand, and how long does it take to get the certificate after the marriage takes place.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Amit1793
Hi! I'm a H1-b visa holder, and will be getting married in New Delhi India in November. My spouse obviously needs to get a H-4 visa for which the marriage certificate is a neccissity.

My question: We're planning to have a regular Hindu wedding. Does the priest simply issue a marriage certificate - is that good enough? Or do I need to have registered marriage done in court? I'm just confused on what needs to get done to have the marriage certificate in hand, and how long does it take to get the certificate after the marriage takes place.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Priest cannot issue you a marriage certificate. After you get married go to the nearest registrar of marriages. He can register your marriage and issue you a certificate. YOu do not have to get married in court. Usually you should be able to get the certificate in 0-2 days.

I recently got married and went the next day to the registrar office in the same zone as the marriage hall and signed in the register. our people went and got the marriage certificate the following day. You would need to fill out the name and address of the priest when you file the application.
In some places you can give 'moolah' and get it the same day.