Currently on F1, going to OPT; need help with H1-B

aravindha

Hi all,

I'm currently on F-1 visa; I'm graduating in May 2010. I already have a job, and my employer wants me to begin work on the day I complete my courses in the last week of May. And, I'm applying for my OPT next week.

My questions are:

1. If I want to apply for H1-B, should I begin that process as soon as I begin my OPT?? Or, should I wait and do it after 3-4 months, like, say, in September??
2. From what I understand, it takes quite some time to get our H1-B, and so, should I apply as early as possible?? What happens if I, by some good chance, get my H1-B cleared early?? Wouldn't that mean that my OPT would be over, before the actual OPT period is supposed to end??

Ex: I'm graduating in May 2010, and I'm starting work in May 2010 --- which means my OPT is valid till May 2011. Say I apply for my H1-B in July 2010. Say I apply, and say I get my H1-B approval from USCIS by November 2010. Would that mean I can stay here till like February 2010, and go outside USA and get my visa stamped?? Or, would that mean I would have to immediately go outside the USA and get H1-B stamping? Either case, would that mean I lose my OPT period??
3. Continuing from point (2.) above -- since I'm beginning work in May 2010, the offer letter that I would have while applying for H1-B will have the start date of May 2010. Should I get a new offer letter for applying for H1-B??

Also, is it better to go through a lawyer? The lawyer I'm inclined to go with is charging around $800 for the whole process, here in New York. I do not know if that is cheap or expensive. Any thoughts?

These queries might seem insignificant, but I think it is better to get clarified, for me, and for anyone else who might be or who might come across a similar predicament.

Best,
A.K.