Crossing Peace Bridge for Pakistanis

heavymetal

Registered Users (C)
Last week, I went to Canada for get my H1B visa stamped in Ottawa. If you haven't crossed the border before, it can be confusing. Especially, if you have to look for US immigration office for the so called Mandatory Registration. Here is the short and sweet process:

1) After following the signs for Peace Bridge, the first thing you will see is a lot of trucks parked on the left hand side and right in front you will see booths. Immediately to the right, you will see the Duty Free Shop. Make sure you park in the duty free parking area.

2) Go inside the duty free shop and ask somebody for the directions to the US immigration office if you are not sure yourself.

3) Walk over to the other side by using the walkway right behind the booths. I think its the door that says room number 2. As far as I remember, the whole building is unmarked and it says nothing on the door.

4) Immediate after entering the doors, you will find a waiting area and next to this waiting area, there is another room where all the immigration officers are sitting behind the desk. You cannot enter this door, as they are locked and there is a big 'X' mark at the top of the door. After ringing the bell on the door, they will buzz you in. (The whole thing is confusing and there are no directions). Of course, you will let them know of what you are there for.

It’s a simple straight forward process if you have gone through the registration process before and you have the FIN (Fingerprint Identification Number). In my case, there a rookie officer who stood up immediately and said to the other officers that he will take care of that. Now rookie officers will try to press you, making you feel criminal and the onus is on you to prove otherwise. So avoid rookies if you can.

You will be redirected to the same Immigration Office when coming back as you will have to register again if you use Peace Bridge.

Hope this process helps.

Hello HeavyMetal,

Thank you for sharing this valuable information. Can you also share your stamping experience, like what kinda questions they asked you, what docs they asked. Also, when you made the appointment, did they tell you beforehand either by calling or leaving a message that there will be administrative processing or background check possible in your case? Any information about security clearance they mentioned during your interview?

Congrats on your successful return and thanks for sharing the info again.

Stoned!

In my case, it was a bit different since I got my visa twice before. Once from country I wouldn't name and then from the state department Washing DC. The first time was right after sept, 11 and it took about a month. This was my 7th year extension. Not too many questions I suppose. Just where do u work, what do u do, for how long have u been working there etc.

As for the docs, make sure you take everything, and I mean everything that proves your affiliation to your job.
-pay stubs
-bank statement showing your deposits
-your GC filing
-Company brochures
-Business Card
-All your passports
-Screen shot of Backlog Reduction Center

If this is your first time to get the H1B visa and your degree is not from US or Canada, then you don't want to take chances in Canada or Mexico. Its better to go to Pakistan. Getting stuck in Canada could be expensive. The only reason I prefer Canada over Mexico is because there are flights to Europe, Middle East, Pakistan. Otherwise, Mexico is a hop, skip jump.

Hope this helps.

Thanks heavymetal,

I actually was planning to land in Canada for PR, and I was hoping to come back in the US via AVR. The problem is my expired visa has been stamped "Cancelled Without Prejudice" and though many on these forums have assured it should not pose any problems, I just can't help feeling paranoid. For this reason, I have scheduled an appointment in Ottawa in case I am denied entry. This will be my 7th year extension too and so far I only had one previous H-1B stamp on my passport.

Thanks again for sharing the info.

Stoned!

Absolutely and surely you don't need a visa to come back. I read the same things in these forums and therefore, to confirm, I asked the immigration officer and he confirmed. YOU DO NOT NEED VISA TO COME BACK. All you need is a valid I-94. I also confirmed it from my attorney, just incase and here is what he said.

He (me) may return to the U.S. following his trip to Canada using his expired visa stamp and H-1B approval notice, provided that the following conditions are met:

1. He may only travel to Canada and must not travel to any third country;
2. He must return to the U.S. within 30 days;
3. He may not apply for a visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate during his stay.

If he violates any of these regulations, then he will not be readmitted to the U.S. until he has first obtained a new visa stamp in his passport at a U.S. Consulate.

Don't have to worry one bit. In this case, a spoon of extra paranoia is better than none. Return a day before your appointment date in Ottawa. Just incase, they say that you need visa (which I am a billion % sure you don't need, but to feed your paranoia), you can go back and get the visa.

Good luck!

heavymetal, thanks for your info. Can you please post as to what were you asked/formalities at the canadian side of the border? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
When you reach Canadian side, they usually ask you one question:

Where is home?
If you are neither canadian resident/citizen nor a US green card holder, they you would need a visa. Otherwise, you show the pertinent docuements and it hardly takes a few seconds and you are in.

Good luck!

Thanks heavymetal. Just a few more questions if you don't mind.
I have canadian PR card. Do I have to show my passport too or just hand over my PR card to the Canadian customs for identification?
Any suggestions on what time of the day/week is best to cross the Peace bridge?
I will be driving a rental car to Canada and back. Any isses with that with Canadian customs?
Also, do I have to stop and show US docs to US Customs/INS before leaving? I am not from any SR country. I think that probably isn't necessary?
Thanks

Hi,

The first question they are going to ask you is "where's home?". So just say the name of the city in Canada. That will prompt other question of your status in Canada. Make sure you have your PR card handy so that you don't fumble and start looking for it. Just hand over the card and there is no need for Passport. Its best to not take a US car. If you are renting, make sure you ask the rental car company to get a Canadian car. If not and if the Canadian officer asks you about your US car, just say that you are going to drop it off in Toronto Airport.

And yes, they will ask you for how long you stayed in US (have an answer for that). If you are not from SR country, that good as you don't have to register before leaving. Canadian Custom Agents make sure you are not doing business of buying and selling alcohol or cigarettes. Just buy something from Duty free shop, a carton of cigarettes (within allowable limit). The Canadian officers are mostly looking for custom duty products. Just show that carton of cigarettes.

As for the time, morning should be good but any other time shouldn't effect your decision in any way.

Good Luck.

Coming back to the US (second time)

Hey guys, thanks for the great info...I was wondering if AVR (the 30 days rule) could be used to enter back into the US more than once. I have used it once recently but because of some personal issues would have to go back next month??? According to the state dept. website, there are no restrictions, but just wanted ot confirm with you pros!!!
Thanks

After landing I am planning to come back right away ... so i wont have the PR card, so when asked where is "home" what would be the best answer ... I woudl say Pakistan since I am just a PR and not a citizen ...

infinity_440 said:
Hey guys, thanks for the great info...I was wondering if AVR (the 30 days rule) could be used to enter back into the US more than once. I have used it once recently but because of some personal issues would have to go back next month??? According to the state dept. website, there are no restrictions, but just wanted ot confirm with you pros!!!
Thanks

I don't think there is a limit on the number of times you can use automatic revalidation when entering the US. As long as your passport and I-94 is vaild you are good to travel as much as you want...

I confirmed with attorney and he says that there is no limit on the number of times you may go through automatic revalidation on the border as far as your I-94 is valid and you only stay in Canada for less than a month.