critical situation on my j1 visa,,need help

drmathews

Registered Users (C)
Hi, i am a j1 medical scholar and my visa expiring in july,my spouse presently in j2 dependent might be going for j1 to continue her training.in that situation can i become her j2 dependent.Also in the mean time if i get my waiver in couple of months after i become her dependent,what will be my options? should i have to do another waiver or should my spouse has to get her waiver?or my current waiver will be sufficient for me?
Please advise.Thank you all in advance.

1- Though it's possible to do, going from J-1 to J-2 requires a change of status application with USCIS along with a convincing argument (supported by evidence) of why you're doing it and that you maintain your original intention not to immigrate to the US. In such matters, it's useful to consult with a lawyer.

2- If you go from J-1 to J-2, you will have to obtain a waiver for your original J-1 but not for the J-2. But you may still be subject to a new home residency requirement because you are a J-2 of a J-1 principal (your wife) if she separately becomes subject. Others should weigh in on what I just wrote here to be sure.