Criminal Convictions and Activity

baro

I have a friend who is being held in a county jail currently. He has multiple DUIs (2) which he has plead out to and recieved suspended sentences. He is now being held in the county jail for a forgery charge (3rd deg) dating back to 2005 where he plead out for a suspended sentence and was released pending sentencing/deportation. He never went back to court for sentencing and now the prosecuter has agreed to give him a suspended sentence or probation. He is on an expired B2 visa which is from 9 years ago. Once he is sentenced on the forgery case he will be taken in by ICE to immigration holding. I was wondering what his options are to get a bond and also how much time we have to hire lawyers ect.. before the precedings start. He also has a girlfriend who is an american citizen and is willing to stand by him and if need be get married to him ASAP (this has been their plan for a while they just never got to it). Any help is APPRICIATED.

Marriage ain't going to save him at this point, they deport husbands/wives of USC all the time. The DUI's are not a problem, if he gets a year sentence on the forgery he will be considered a Ag.felon and have no right to see a IJ. Less than a year and it could still be a CIMT, but that still leaves him with the overstay problem to deal with. To be honest, he screwed... They can still get married, but it will be in jail, not a church.

I would be very surprised if he was able to get a immigration bond, he should have about 3 or 4 weeks before his first hearing to find a lawyer. If he doesn't have one by then, he can get more time. Since he had a FTA in the past, I'm pretty sure he will get no bond.