• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

CP Success in London

luckySAboy

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I had my DV successfully processed in London on Tuesday. Many thanks to all those who offered advice and guidance over the past few months. Your insights went a long way toward helping calm my nerves, although as my experience below shows, I was probably worrying too much to begin with.

I post my experience here for those who may find it useful:

My appointment was at 8:00am. I arrived at the Embassy around 7:45 and presented my letter and passport to security outside. They inspected it and asked if I had any electronic devices. Note that they don’t warn you of this in the 2nd NL but you cannot bring electronic devices into the embassy. I didn’t know this and I had my mobile phone on me. The security gave me a list of businesses nearby where you can store stuff. These places charge about £5 to keep whatever you store.

Anyway, I had to leave the line and go store my electronic items. I lost about 15 mins doing so, and by the time I got back to the embassy it was a little after 8. Of course, I also lost my place in line. I reported back to the security who reminded me to take off my belt and watch and put them in my bag. She then directed me to the next line where you wait for another security officer to call you to line up to go through the security screening.

As I was going through the scanner, the key fob for my flat set off the scanner alarm. I didn’t realise that my key fob counted as an electronic device. So I had to go back to the place where I stored my phone and leave the fob. This cost me another 10 mins or so and more places in line. I came back to the embassy, went through security and entered the building, where I got my number and sat in the waiting room for my number to be called. It was probably around 8:30 by this time.

About 9 or so, my number was called and I presented my documents at the window, and had my fingerprints taken. I wasn’t asked anything about my documents. The guy just asked me for them and the copies, told me to pay the fee, gave me a courier form to fill out, and explained to me that I would next be seeing the consular officer. I went back to the waiting room to wait for my number to be called again.

About 15-20 mins later, I was called to see the consular officer. She said, “I see you used to work in the states.” I said, “Yes, I did, up to a few years ago.” And that was it. I wasn’t asked another question about my application.

In fact, the ‘interview’ was more a casual chat, she asking me about when I planned to travel to the states and explaining what would happen when I got to the airport. She then administered the oath, had me sign the form and then briefed me on what to do with the envelope I would receive. She then wished me all the best and I was on my way. It was one of the easiest ‘interviews’ I have ever had.

I left the Embassy around 10:20, but if you take into account the time I wasted going to store my stuff and the places I lost in the line as a result, I would probably have been out of there an hour earlier. Word to the wise: remember not to take any electronic items to the embassy. You will spare yourself a lot of hassle.

A note
I studied and worked in the US for six years before moving to the UK. This could have accounted for my relatively easy experience.

I did not submit my degree certificates. On the advice of some people of this forum, I got a copy of my high school diploma and submitted that instead. My sense was that it would not have mattered if I had submitted my degrees instead.

During my interview the officer saw that I attended Princeton and commented: “Oh, you have a masters from Princeton. Well, you’re way above the qualifications.”

My sense is that if you have a degree from a recognized institution and can’t find or don’t have your high school diploma, you’ll be fine. I honestly can't see a consular officer denying someone with a degree from a reputable institution a visa because he or she can’t find a high school diploma.

If you meet a hard ass who insists on seeing the high school diploma, your case may be delayed as you’d have to get the diploma and submit it before they give you the visa. But you’re unlikely to be denied a visa. Just my opinion…take it with a pinch of salt.

An observation
US consular officers are often painted on this forum as being draconian types looking for a way to deny you a visa. I found the two officers I dealt with to be very friendly and accommodating. The second lady in particular was very eager to answer any questions I had.

It would be foolish to misrepresent yourself or try to mislead a consular officer. But if you have everything in order, you have nothing to worry about.

If you’ve made an honest, plausible mistake on your application, explain the circumstances to the interviewer (and to the KCC before your interview). Don’t assume that you’ll be automatically denied.

Hope this has been helpful. I’m happy to answer any specific questions anyone may have about my experience.

thanks