Cp Experiences - August 2003 Chennai

msns

Registered Users (C)
I am starting a new thread to share AUGUST 2003 CP experiences for Chennai CP seekers. I am uploading two docs.
1. List of docs for (For self and spouse)
2. Past experiences (May 03, June 03 and July 03 experiences. I am sorry, Its not properly formatted)
These are not a completed list for docs. Hope it might help you guys.

Good luck to you all.

list of docs attached here......

Sorry... list of docs attached here.

I am attaching list of docs . It might not be a completed list for your case. Hope it helps.

msns, the documents you posted are really useful. Thanks dude.
One question i have is about the cover letter, all i received is the appt. letter (yellow color) from my lawyer. What does the cover letter say?.

Jay.

Main thing in cover letter is details of appointment. Name, date and time of interview ...etc.

Update

Hi Guys,

Reached india couple of days ago. Got the lab and medical examination done on the same day Sat 23rd. Reached lister lab at 7:30 and we were out by 8:15(Blood test and chest xray). Dr V is very professional and prompt with appt time. Our entire examination was over within 30mts. If you wear contacts or lenses pls take the prescription with you. Our interview is on the 29th of Aug. How is the rest of the Aug gang doing?? My interview is on the 29th Aug

Booker

Successful GC

Guys,

I got GC on 2nd Sept ( Tuesday ) after 2nd appearance for the interview. I had a problem with Marriage certificate. Finally got GC.

I will explain everything in detail after 1 week. My experience might help some of you.. Very busy now.

Successful CP

Hi all,

Successfully completed the CP interview on August 28th. Everything went on very smooth. Experience was very similar to all others.

Apart from the list of required documents, the documents that were asked extra are:

1) Pay stubs
2) W2’s
3) Tax transcripts

Thanks for everyone for sharing their comments and helping others. Special thanks to Rajiv Khanna for providing us with such a useful forum.

Good luck to all.

Thanks,
lux

Re: Successful CP

Originally posted by luxGC
Hi all,

Successfully completed the CP interview on August 28th. Everything went on very smooth. Experience was very similar to all others.

Apart from the list of required documents, the documents that were asked extra are:

1) Pay stubs
2) W2’s
3) Tax transcripts

Thanks for everyone for sharing their comments and helping others. Special thanks to Rajiv Khanna for providing us with such a useful forum.

Good luck to all.

Thanks,
lux

Lux;

Congratulations !!!.
Thank you for sharing the information with the rest of us.

I remember in one of your previous posts, you have mentioned about 'having substantially higher salary than that in the LC'.

Could you explain about, how did you handle the situation.
Which salary did your employment letter state ?.
Did the officer ask you about your current salary, and what answer did you give ?.

Please answer the above questions, as I am also in the similar situation, expecting NOV interview.

Thanks again

successful CP interview Aug 27 - Part 1

arrived in Chennai late Sunday night,
checked into a hotel in the wee hours.(08/25)

Left for Lister labs at 6:30 am, since
I didnt know how long it would take to get there
from Koyambedu...Also there was supposed to be some CM JJ visit to Koyambedu. Anyway wanted
to avoid the crowds and left very early.

Arrived at Lister Labs by 7:00, There was no one.
(had to wake up the watchman !!)
Had breakfast at some nearby restaurant and returned at 7:20. Met a couple of dudes with
08/28 interview.

Paid Rs1080? fee for self & spouse.
(no xray for my wife due to pre-existing condition) The guy wanted documentation,
take physician records with you for any excemptions. Was surprised at how efficient
they were (more later).
X-ray done and blood drawn all in
a few minutes. Few people I met had fasted,
due to apprehensions about the blood test.
They dont check blood sugar level !! (so no need
to fast)
Collected receipt and left to take pictures
at Konica. Again waited for the store to open
at 9:30. I already had pictures from Sears.
But the bozos at Konica said their immi. pictures
were different. In the end it turned out to
be similar, except sears' wasn't trimmed to size.
Anyway this done, went to an adjacent bank
to get DD (Rs400) for Blue Dart.

Returned to Lister at 4:30 pm. The place was swarming with people with some interrupting
the lister guys every few minutes to check
on the status. Some lister employees were leaving
for the day. Finally at 5:30, the office door
opens and the guy announces the reports are ready.
About 50 or more people barged into the room that could seat barely 15~20 people. There was utter chaos.... more later

Successful CP interview Aug 27 - Part 2

With a 5:00 pm appt at Dr.Vij's I was beginning
to worry, Anyway another guy (Rao) with 5:30 pm
appt. called her office and was told to come in
as soon as he got the report and was assured being late wouldn't be a problem.
We arrived at Dr.V's office at 6pm, were seen at 6:30 pm. It was a breeze through...I had my immunization report (all immunizations updated,
varicella / chicken pox titers drawn etc),
We left at 6:45pm.

On Aug 27, we reached Anna Salai early,
hence had breakfast at Woodlands hotel nearby,
and returned around 8:15 (appt time 9:00).

Security guard refused to let us in with our bags
( a shoulder bag - for our docs, and an infant bag with our daughter's stuff).
Argued with him for 15 minutes, then called
Customer Service. They said they couldn't interfere with security procedures, but to work
with the guards ...
After transferring the contents, we threw one of the bags away, and returned to the consulate.
The "chief" (?!) security guard still refused to
let us in. At this point few other guards intervened, and we were finally inside the building at just about 9 am. This was probably the
most difficult part of the CP interview!!

Was called for doc. collection around 9:45.
For employment verification, take the documents
listed in parenthesis, as well (w2, tax return etc...)
Last year's tax return, and past 3 yrs w2 were collected along with other docs. The lady highlighted taxable income in
the tax transcript...

Was called for the interview at 12:45,
(i) who are you going to work for?
(company)
(ii) what will you do there?
(Job Title)
(iii) How much are they going to pay you?
(iv) How long were you in Japan, can I see your Japanese PCC.
Me: "Already attached to the docs."..
Cons. Officer : looks at it, then asks us to sign
DS230 Part II..
Then says, "one more thing can I see your daughter's passport"..
"You visas are issued, you will receive your passports in 2~3 days.
The interview took less than a minute.
We received our passports next morning. (keep a copy of $335 IV fee receipt/check, Blue Dart prefers this for ID).

End of saga !!

For those who haven't been back home recently,
and out-of-towners:
I stayed in a hotel in Chennai
for a week. If you carry the right cell phone (correct band) you can use it with cheap prepaid sim cards. (rpg wings/ airtel magic)
Make sure you get your handset unlocked before leaving. typically north american mobile handsets are locked since the cost is subsidized ...
Hotel Saravana Bhavan has a dial-n-delivery number, they deliver for 10% extra.
If you want to web surf with your laptop,
dishnet has a Rs99 dialup package for 10 hours/one month. (+ hotel local phone charges).

Best wishes to CP goers,
and many thanks to Rajiv Khanna for the wonderful forum.

Congratulations CBE Guy on your succesfull Interview, and thank you for letting us know your experience. Could you tell me how you did the Immunization Verification, and where did you do it?.
Is there any problem, if we dont do it ?.
Secondly, I lost my W2 for the Year 1999. I have all the other W2s with me. Now that they are collecting prior W2's, I wonder if it could be an issue.

Thanks again, and enjoy your vacation

Quote:
For those who haven't been back home recently,
and out-of-towners:
I stayed in a hotel in Chennai
for a week. If you carry the right cell phone (correct band) you can use it with cheap prepaid sim cards. (rpg wings/ airtel magic)
Make sure you get your handset unlocked before leaving. typically north american mobile handsets are locked since the cost is subsidized ...
Hotel Saravana Bhavan has a dial-n-delivery number, they deliver for 10% extra.
If you want to web surf with your laptop,
dishnet has a Rs99 dialup package for 10 hours/one month. (+ hotel local phone charges).

Best wishes to CP goers,
and many thanks to Rajiv Khanna for the wonderful forum.

Re: immunization verification, w2

I had the immunizations for the following:
Tetanus/Diptheria - valid for 10yrs

mmr,hepb,pneumococal valid for a few yrs.
varicella (if you've had chicken pox,
you can have titers drawn and prove immunity).
i.e. blood test

If you dont have any records, not to worry,
dr.v may give you some of these ...
I doubt if they actually administer all
recommended ones ...

Generally, immunizations are covered by even
basic insurance policies. (supposedly even
no copay is required, since these shots
can be given by RNs, and no need to be seen by
the doctor).

as far as w2's, your employer (or ex-employer)
should be able to provide duplicate w2's.
If you can't locate your ex-employer,
look on irs web page for instructions on how
to get copies of w2. btw, i wasnt asked to
provide 1999 w2. (only 2000, 01 and 02)

CBEGUY,

Thank you for the information.

Btw, where can we have test on titers . Is it done during CP medicals ?. Does everybody have to get it done ?.

Thanks again.

MY CP SAGA.......

Folks, I got GC in my second interview. Here is my CP experience.
My interview date: 29th. (Friday), -> asked to provide more docs
2nd interview date: 2nd sept -> visa approved
3rd Sept:- got packet from Blue Dart
7th Sept :- POE in LAX

Reached Chennai on 26th noon and checked into Hotel Crystal Residency around 1:30 PM. I already had reservation for 2-bed A/C. Call them and make sure your reservation before you leave for Madras. Another impo thing: if you buy domestic airline tickets 1 month ahead of travel: you may be required to pay only 25-35% of regular price. But some restrictions apply in cancellation. Talk to an Indian travel agent.

About Crystal residency: Not the best hotel in Chennai. But a enough place for 3-4 days living in Madras. Directly opposite to US consulate. Very convenient too. Food: they have room services. Food quality is OK, both veg and non-veg. For Muslims: they have halal food too. A mosque is nearby too. If you want to try Veg food outside: Hotel Leela bhavan (?) walkable distance, at the end of next street to Crystal. Good food in very cheap price. Non-veg food: “Cascade”. Take an auto. We are paying for the quality of food here. STAFF at CRYSTAL is really helpful. That’s the best thing I feel about Crystal.

27th Wednesday:
Asked Crystal guys for an auto. I wanted an auto to go to Lister labs first, then to Camera citi and come back to hotel room after some shopping. They arranged auto and set the price. We don’t have to negotiate. RS 60/- including waiting charge. I tipped the auto some extra, because Camera Citi made wait for more than 30 minutes.
Started to Lister around 8:10 AM and reached there in 10 minutes. Ask the auto driver for 2nd building of Crystal.
We need, passport, medical form, & appointment letter here. I already filled the medical form. Pasted a photograph too. They give usanother form to be filled. Finished everything @ Lister in 15-20 minutes (blood + x-ray) . Paid 1200/- for two.
Started to Camera citi. Reached in Camera around 8:40AM. Security there told me, Camera Citi will open by 9:00AM. Waited for them to open, cleaning the office and photo taken around by 9:15. They told, it will take 10 minutes to develop and I got it around 10:00 AM. Very busy studio, hence slow.
Evening 4:30 PM.: went to Lister again to pick up the report. They gave us all report sealed in an envelop and x-ray. Then went to Dr. Mathai ( Best Hospital) . it took some 15-20 minutes in auto. I had an appointment for 5:30. I was there around 5:25. It’s a hospital and crowded. I asked the reception to meet Dr. Mathai and they directed us to Dr.’s room. Dr’s secretary was waiting outside for me. She came and called me by name. She was nice and gave us form to be filled. Met Dr. Mathai after forms filled. He is really professional. Asked both of us about medical history. Major hospital visits, smoking/drinking habits.. etc. Lady staff of Dr. did the physical check up for my wife. My wife told that she feel very comfort with the staff. Dr. Mathai finished physical check for me in seconds. He gave us shot for MMR. Filled the docs and put reports for me and my wife in the SAME envelop and wrote our name and case number. He told that we have to submit this report to Consulate. X-ray not required. We paid 1400/- for two including shots. We need report from Lister, Passport, appt letter and photograph for Dr. appoint.

28th Aug Thursday :- Made all docs arranged and verified again and again. Then shopping and sleeping .. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

29th Aug Friday : Appoint time 10:00 AM. I have everything ready in transparent bag. Security let us in without any issues. Don’t carry any electronics like Mobile phone ..etc. we reached inside the consulate around 9:55 AM. Desi gentlemen from counter 7 called our name by 10:20 AM. Submitted docs + copy. Important docs are
1. Apt letter
2. DS230 I & II
3. Marriage, birth certificates
4. Employment letter
5. 3 years W2, tax transcripts, pay stubs, bank statement
6. PCC
7. Medical report
8. Affidavit of support for wife.
Tag the Org and copy separately. That might help them.
Please note: tax/current financial related docs are very important in these days.
Change all NOT APPLICABLE / NA to NONE or NEVER. Document submission took nearly 10 minutes.

The interviews of other visa ( H1, F1, L1, H4,.. etc) are going on other counters.
One American IO came at counter 6 around 11:00 and started calling case by case. We are called around 12:00 for the interview. He asked simple qns.
1. employer, salary, place ..etc
2. There was another employee from my company in same day. I didn’t know him. He asked me about him. I told him he might be working in different office. He was saying “ you don’t know your colleagues”.. etc. and similar teasing questions.
He asked us to sign DS230 II . we both did that. Then he asked me.. when did you get married. Told the date. I took nearly 4 months vacation during that time. He was doubtful.. whether I got such a long vacation. I told him.. I got vacation only because of marriage. He said OK. then he found that my wife never traveled to US in h4. ( we recently got married and she was student) . then he looked at marriage certificate and told that its not a marriage certificate which meets US immigration requirements. Ohh… I got scared. What he said was true.. and I didn’t knew that until then. We got married as per religious custom and we register our marriage according govt requirements before a govt registrar. We asked a 3rd party agency to get the marriage certificate and agreements prepared and register as per special marriage act. I thought the marriage certificate I am having was sufficient enough. But the agency who prepared did not added special marriage act clause (something like that).. and also they added that this marriage has been Solemnized as per religious custom. I was using this marriage certificate for all other purpose and it was sufficient enough to prove our marriage. After verifying this.. consular officer explained that I need to produce a document from religious authority too along with this document. And he forwarded our documents to a desi staff in consulate to explain things in detail. Desi staff was helpful and explained me that.. I have to produce a marriage certificate from “Chief Kazi” . and gave me a blue form stating that. I was told to come back again with this doc. I returned to Hotel.. hmm I was really sad…

Called my home and asked for this doc. It was difficult to get such doc in short period of time. But my family was managed to get the doc in the weekend. Meantime I had to extend stay in hotel.. and reschedule the flight ticket. I seek some professional legal help also during that time.

Next Tuesday ( 2nd Sept) I submitted the new doc. For that I have to go to the consulate before 8:00 AM. Don’t have to wait in the queue. Got inside. Submitted the doc. Now a long waiting. Many others in the room are appearing interview for 2nd, 3rd, 4th.. time for immigrant visa purpose. They told me that.. they will call only in the afternoon .. so we have to wait till then. No food available inside. Coffee + snacks.. That’s it. Around 3:00 pm a desi staff opened a window and called my name. Returned me originals (I submitted in the morning) and told me that my case has been approved and free to leave consulate. Returned to hotel.. and Crystal guys allowed me check out without paying extra fee , even though I overstayed few hours.

After my first interview, I thought to seek some legal help in Chennai who is familiar with similar cases. Crystal staff referred one nice gentleman, who is providing services in US/UK visa processing from India. I met him twice. He explained me similar cases. Here is his contact info: Mr Andrews , Jay M Jay Travel services Nugambakkam , Phone 28281573,28228770. if any of guys come across any immigration problems in Chennai.. You may contact him. He will not charge until he provides you valuable service.

Then there many good high speed Internet café close Crystal for low price. But the Internet café next to building of crystal is slowest in this world J Spenser is good shopping mall and you can spend some time there, if you wish to.

I cancelled my return flight from Madras to Cochin, instead I took bus service. to reach home early (Crystal staff will get you good bus service) I reached home early in the morning Wednesday. I got visa in afternoon, same day. I return from India Saturday night. POE 7th Sept on LAX. So I got only 3 days to spend with my family during this vacation.

In the POE, there is a separate counter for new immigrants. ( gate 17?) . After finger printing, waited for 25 minutes to get the visa stamped in passport. I gave new address to ship the Plastic card at the POE.

Now waiting for welcome letter and PC. Thanks for all guys who shared their experience here. Thanks to Rajiv S. Khanna to maintain such a wonderful site. Good luck to all future Cp’ers. It is the best way.. as long a you have your docs ready.

Congratulations to all successful cpers!!

I have a question wrt "Name Check" the consulate supposedly performs on a random basis- do we know anything about this. I saw an earlier post (another thread) talking about Name check being responsible for a GC rejection ?!

Thanks,

RK