• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Country Of Eligibility on DV Application

Starr33

Registered Users (C)
My husband and I are trying to apply for the Green Card and I would like to know if we can apply under the country of Australia as our country of eligibility- we both live in Australia and are permanent residents with Australian Citizenship - however neither of us were born in Australia nor were our parents.
I was born in Argentina to an Argentinian father and an Italian mother.
My husband was born in Zimbabwe to Irish parents.

My husband and I are trying to apply for the Green Card and I would like to know if we can apply under the country of Australia as our country of eligibility- we both live in Australia and are permanent residents with Australian Citizenship - however neither of us were born in Australia nor were our parents.
I was born in Argentina to an Argentinian father and an Italian mother.
My husband was born in Zimbabwe to Irish parents.

Hi there, are you talking about entering the dv lottery? If yes, then your husband qualifies through is country of birth which is Zimbabwe. Hope this helps.

All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, one of you must claim the country of birth as eligible country.
Nevertheless, if you are selected, you can do case processing in Australia. You don't need to go to your country of birth.

Thank you for the responses - yes we are trying to enter the DV Lottery.
But we would like to enter our country of eligibility as Australia can we do this considering we only live here as permanent residents with citizenships???
Or do we have to apply from the countries we were born in or our parents were born in??

But we would like to enter our country of eligibility as Australia can we do this considering we only live here as permanent residents with citizenships???
Or do we have to apply from the countries we were born in or our parents were born in??

You can apply from Australia, and get processed in Australia, but as country of eligibility you must claim your place of birth.

Hi again, the rules about the dv lotteries are very clear, your country of eligibility is your country of birth which you can claim in different ways. As you were born in Zimbabwe, you can claim Zimbabwe as your country of eligibility. This does not change anything about your current status in Australia. I mean you will still maintain your Australian citizenships. All you have to do is prove that you were born in Zimbabwe ie: you Zimbabwe birth certificate is important.

Hope this helps, all the best.