Could you please help in this ...?

AnuD

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

I received my approval in December - actually it was dated 13th Dec and physical cards in second week of Jan 04.

During last year I was out of job for almost ten months. My employer did not pay anything - not even insurance. Since Sept I got a project which I rounted through my sponsoring employer. Now looks like this project is going to end and I have to look something new - mostly on my own. I don't feel sponsoring employer is not that aggresive in marketing me.

1. Can I now change employer and take perm positions ?
2. OR more importantly, do I have to be/route through
sponsorer employer ?
3. How long do I have to be with sponsoring employer after
getting the Green Card ?
4. Any other advise(s)/suggestion(s)/comment(s)/warning(s)

I have heard that you should be with your sponsoring employer for 6 months to 1 year and leaving before that can cause some questions later on if you decide to go for Citizenship.

I guess it would be different if emp. lays you off.
Maybe if there is no salary for 2-3 months, that would help as you can then put that as the reason for leaving.
I wonder what other folks has to say on this..

The question about employment may be raised at time of renewal of your GC or your citizenship. You can ask for No fault termination or layoff from your employer. So that you are covered.

There are no rules surrounding it and every person has his own interpretation of law. Actually there is no rule that you have to work for so much period for the sponsring employer. So you can encash this lack of rule, and happily say good bye to your company after getting GC. I personally feel that i can say good bye after 1 month. Why 1 month ? Here is my logic : if you are ever asked by BCIS (at citizenship) about why you left the company after 1 month, then you can tell that you found a better opportunity. Simple. Take advantage of lack of restrictions on GC holders (unlike people in AOS who are enslaved to their employer or nature of job) :D

There are no laws surrounding the fact- how long you should work for sponsoring employer. I think the 6 mo. clause for AC21 has been extended to 6 mo after GC.
But the fact is GC does require you to work for sponsoring employer- that is the whole basis- else issues of fraud etc come up. If one is laid off then one is supposedly OK. Or if there is reason to quit- no salary etc etc. But on the whole it is fuzzy- I personally will not worry too much and quit if I have better oportunities. . At time of citizneship etc- I don't think this matter comes up. I personally know at least one person - who left employer immediately after GC and got citizenship without a hitch.
2 cents

Originally posted by AnuD

1. Can I now change employer and take perm positions ?
2. OR more importantly, do I have to be/route through
sponsorer employer ?
3. How long do I have to be with sponsoring employer after
getting the Green Card ?
4. Any other advise(s)/suggestion(s)/comment(s)/warning(s)

1. Yes.
2. Don't have to.
3. There is no rule as such, but '6 months' is considered to be a safe period.
4. See above.