Could anyone help inform me about this, Please...

NewEmerald

Registered Users (C)
My 485 has been approved recently, 2 weeks back. I would like to quit my parent company and join my client company as an employee now. I wonder if this would cause any issues during my citizenship, because I will be quitting my company very soon after I got my GC. Is there any requirement or is it recommended that I stay with the company that sponsered my GC for a certain period of time after getting the GC, so that it doesn't cause any issue during my citizenship case?

Any information regarding this is very much appreciated. Please post your knowledge or opinions. Thanks a lot in advance!!

Its is always advisable to work for atleast a minimum of 6 Months to One Year for a GC sponsoring employer before changing jobs.

From Murthy Chat:

Chat User : Dear Sheelaji, job changed in 2 months after I-485 approval. Will it create any problems later? New job is in the same field with similar responsibilities. Thank you.

Attorney Murthy : As mentioned many times before in various MurthyChat responses and in various articles on MurthyDotCom, the law requires a person to work for the sponsoring employer for a reasonable period of time AFTER obtaining the GC. The reason is that the GC is based on a future job offer. This is different from the law allowing a person to change employers under AC21 portability, and the original law has not been reconciled with this later provision of the law. So under the rules of statutory interpretation, the laws must be read harmoniously and not in conflict with one another. Any change in employers in less than 6 months to one year after obtaining the GC, could be considered tantamount to fraud, since the only reason that the government approved the LC/GC was based on the employee / foreign national agreeing to work on a full-time, permanent basis for that employer after obtaining the GC. By leaving the employer so soon after the GC approval, there may be problems down the road with potential fraud concerns, especially at the time of filing for citizenship.

NewEmerald said:
My 485 has been approved recently, 2 weeks back. I would like to quit my parent company and join my client company as an employee now. I wonder if this would cause any issues during my citizenship, because I will be quitting my company very soon after I got my GC. Is there any requirement or is it recommended that I stay with the company that sponsered my GC for a certain period of time after getting the GC, so that it doesn't cause any issue during my citizenship case?

Any information regarding this is very much appreciated. Please post your knowledge or opinions. Thanks a lot in advance!!

Search the forums. There are "tons" of comments/opinions on this.