Could any one help me regarding my j1 status

drmathews

Registered Users (C)
I am a j1 physician applied for j1 waiver. My papers are currently approved by state health and sent to DOS. But my visa is expiring in august.

My lawyer suggests that we will have to apply for H1 B petition by end of august or during the grace period of 30 days to stay legal here.

Does anybody has some suggestions is it possible to file H1B even during grace period and i can continue to stay here? Do i have to leave the country to get the visa in that situation?

Is it possible to apply for H1 B during those circumstances even if my papers were pending at DOS?
:confused:
Please help me guys!!I would apprecaite any input. Thank you all.

1- you cannot apply for H-1B until the DOS issues a favorable recommendation. Hopefully this will happen on time.

2- Yes, you can still apply for H-1B during you grace period, as you are still in legal status for 30 days after your DS-2019 expires, but no more than 30 days.

Thank you very much for your reply Mr JKO274. I am praying lets see. Small clarification, during the grace period if i get DOS approval and simultaneously get H1B processing done by premium processing,,then do i have to leave the country to get my H1 stamped?
Thank you JK