Contract/Restrictive Bonds between Employee & Employer

ganeshbabu

I came to USA through company ABC. ABCasked me to sign a bond which in brief
1) Must work with them for atleast 1 YEAR,
2) Must give notice before leaving.
3) If we stay in company's guest house(During Bench),
we have to pay $800/month for food and shelter.

I signed the contract as I had no otherway as I had already landed in USA. They did not find a job for me for 1month. So no salary for 1-month. I tried on my own, and could settle in the job. After 5 months I got another job with company XYZ. XYZdid H1B Transfer, and joined XYZ company.
The old employer ABC has sued me asking for apprx. $6000 as I breach the contract. In brief notice says
1) ~$1500 for Processing my VISA
2) ~$3500 for lack of 3 weeks notice
3) ~1100 Cash Advance (Paid for my AIRFARE + 300 advance)

I am willing to pay $1100 back to ABC. But they do n't accept.

Recently I have found a NEGETIVE DEBT of ~$6000 on my Credit History.
It spoiled my history.

here are my questions
1) Can ABC ask for H1B visa arranging fee ?
2) Can ABC have a restrictive bond with its employees?
3) Can they consult collection agents and spoil my credit history without my
attension?

4) what should be my next step?

best Regards

Hi Ganesh,

You tell the employer that you are going to contact DOL. They can't recoup the money for H1B fees from you. By doing so that they are violating the H1B rules. These type of employers should be taught a lesson so that they don't do these sort of dirty tricks on others. :mad:

Do you have a letter or any communication from the employer asking you to repay the H1B fees?

DL

Thanks A Lot for your reply.

Yes, they clearly mentioned in the notice that,
"need to pay $1000 plus actual filing fees incurred, towards expenses for arranging your visa".

can anybody help me in finding a public attorney who can take up these kind of cases?
As private attorney fee are very high (~$500 +/hour) , I can not afford pvt attorney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks A Lot for your reply.

Yes, they clearly mentioned in the notice that,
"need to pay $1000 plus actual filing fees incurred, towards expenses for arranging your visa".

can anybody help me in finding a public attorney who can take up these kind of cases?
As private attorney fee are very high (~$500 +/hour) , I can not afford pvt attorney.

I hope that you have found out a solution to your situation, In case you havent, try this.

Talk to your employer and tell them you will go to DOL and file a WH4 against them. Usually this should be enough to scare them and pay you. However as they have sent you a notice it is good to hire attorney and send them notice to prove your point. I am sure a good attorney can get you out of this issue.

Keep us posted about latest updates