Contract Job using EAD

Bench Blues

The scenario is like this. I just received my EAD and I\'m currently on bench without pay. My employer is willing to sponsor my GC till the end so I have no intentions of leaving them. My questions are,

1) Can I take a Contract(W2) or Contract(Independent) job while I\'m still connected with my current employer? Doing this, I\'ll be getting the salary directly and not tunneled to my employer. Are there any implications with the GC process?

2) Can I continue to stay on bench with no paystub while in the GC process? Will they asked for current paystubs before approving I-485?

Thanks for any info.

EAD

As far as i understand, an EAD effectively replaces your H1B Visa and more. Once an EAD is obtained, the H1 becomes invalid. An EAD is, as it says, is an Authorization for Employment ... regardless of Employer, and if am not mistaken, you can even get employment of a totally different nature as your LC (Programmer to System Analyst). This is different for the I-485 portability wherein after 180 days after INS receipt of application, if INS has not adjudicated your case you can change employer without prejudice to your GC process as long as the new job is similar on nature with that on the LC description (i.e., Programmer Company A to Programmer Company B, and the like) and are compensated within the same amount as in the LC.

Ergo, for Question #1, if you get employment on the basis of your EAD, your salary does not have to go through GC sponsoring employer. There should be NO implications to your GC process.

For Question #2, Paystubs are a REQUIREMENT for I-485 application submission. Therefore, based on your scenario, wherein you have already filed for I-485, then you should already be past this requirement. If this is indeed the case, then you can relax, you should be just waiting for FP notice.

Of course, i may be completely wrong on all of these.