continuous Residency Question - Very Imp

JMD71

Dear Friends, I am new to the forum so please forgive me if a similar question has already been answered, I could not find the related reply though after searching through the forum.

My wife was out of the country for 9 months after 9/11 due to the fact that I lost my job and health coverages. My wife was pregnant at that time and had a very serious health condition, she had to stay there for 9 months until my baby was born however I came back in less than 6 months and started my new job (I didn't break the continuous residency status).

Can she apply for US citizenship as we have almost completed 4 year and 9 months and have been maintaining a strong residency status since she returned from overseas? It looks like she could be eligible to apply as per the clause 316(b) under the UCSIC guidelines.

Kindly shed some light on it. Please help.

Any help and suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
JMD71

well i am not sure becoz i dont know what datre she came back

the rule is 4yrs +1 day after you come back with any trip that is more than 6 months.

sorry again this is if your total stay in america is more than 5 years though that is if she got gc say before may2001 then she will be eligible for 4yrs+1 from the day she came back.

Last edited by a moderator:
wait a minute there! What is 4yrs here; I thought its 5yrs. Are you considering the immigration bill approved by Senate?

nope,
well if you are a resident of america for 5 yrs and in this 5 yrs if one of ur travel was more than 1 year then u can apply for n400 4 yrs and 1 day from the date u came back to america.
its right on the n400 instructions...

rvalla said:
wait a minute there! What is 4yrs here; I thought its 5yrs. Are you considering the immigration bill approved by Senate?