Contacting the Administration

Gilbert

I just found this on CNN. It is a long shot, but we should be asking the Bush Administration to support an increase of asylee numbers.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- On his first trip to New York since assuming office, President Bush on Tuesday called for relaxed U.S. immigration rules at an appropriately historic location.

The event took place just off Manhattan at Ellis Island, where ancestors of millions of Americans first set foot in the United States, to acknowledge immigrants\' importance to the nation and its development.

In his address, Bush committed the Immigration and Naturalization Service to a goal of processing all applications for U.S. citizenship in six months from start to finish.

"We should spare families the hardship of separation while one member is awaiting a Green Card," Bush said. "I support providing an extension of the temporary window that allows people to file for legal residency without having to return to their country of origin." He then urged Congress to act swiftly on the matter.

RESOURCES
Message Board: Tackling immigration

"100 million Americans can draw a straight line from the life they know today, to a moment inside this hall," Bush said. "Immigration is not a problem to be solved, it is a sign of a confident and successful nation. Their arrival should be greeted not with suspicion and resentment, but with openness and courtesy."

Before Bush spoke, dozens of recent immigrants attending the event officially became U.S. citizens by raising their right hands and pledging allegiance to the nation.

Bush was hosted by Democratic Sens. Charles Schumer and Hillary Clinton, and Republicans, New York Mayor Rudi Giuliani and New York Gov. George Pataki. During his remarks, the governor said all four of his grandparents came to America through Ellis Island.

Clinton traveled from Washington to New York with the president on Air Force One, the first time she has flown with Bush.

Despite the city\'s and state\'s GOP leadership, voters cast ballots overwhelmingly for Bush\'s 2000 opponent for president, Democrat Al Gore. Gore defeated Bush in the state 59 percent to 34.5 percent and New York state has a 5-3 Democratic voter registration advantage, according to The Associated Press.

Bush has visited 34 states since assuming office in January but until Tuesday had not visited New York, the nation\'s third most populated, the AP reported.

Ellis Island was the entry point for 12 million immigrants who entered the U.S. between 1892 and 1954. It was declared part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument in 1965. After a six-year, $162 million renovation, it was reopened to the public as a museum in 1990.

Bush was later scheduled finish his day trip to New York by presenting the Congressional Gold Medal posthumously to Cardinal John O\'Connor, who died in May 2000. The ceremony was set for New York\'s St. Patrick\'s Cathedral, the site of O\'Connor\'s tomb.

It was O\'Connor to whom Bush apologized during the presidential race after campaigning at Bob Jones University, whose leader once described the Roman Catholic Church as a "Satanic cult," according to The Associated Press.

No Title

It provides some relief to know the President\'s opinion on this matter. We have to take in mind that is up to us, the asylees, to push on that HR 1560. I got a chance to read a letter that a bunch of companies sent to the Congress asking for reforms on EB visas that were recently approved. They did a good work.
I expect from each one of the participants in this forum to at least send one letter to congress persons asking for sponsoring HR 1560. Also, each one of us should let other asylees we know, about this Bill and ask them to do the same.
Finally, if any one of you get an answer from a congress person please let everybody know. Thanks

No Title

Hi Gilbert,

Thanks for bringing this news to our attention. I was researching into Bush team\'s campaign agenda on immigration during his Presidential Campaign and I found out some remark he made about *breaking up* the INS into two branches: the service branch and the enforcement branch. I believe the goal was to speed up all INS case processings. I think the plan has already undergone into effect.

I\'m really glad that President Bush atleast knows some of the issues (particularly the long processing times) all immigrants are facing. His speech was rhetorically perfect and brings alot of hope for immigrants, but we will have to wait and see whther he will increase the Refugee Number, and by how many, (also Asylee Adjustment Number) when he signs the Presidential Determination for FY2002.

There is some opposition from right wing conservative groups such as the Federation of American Immigration Reform (FAIR) to America absorbing more LPRs and naturalized citizens. My research into this group\'s activities show that they do effective lobbying at every given opportunity. Will the Administration totally disregard their prespectives on the immigration issues?

Also I notice that (atleast from my lameman\'s point of view) the INS can do things alot more efficiently if they utilizes every available internet technology, such as applicants being able to check their case status online at the INS web site, sending application receipts by email, or even electronic filing of some applications. But the reality is that the INS web site remains very *static* and nothing more than a storage space for forms and massive search engine of immigration laws. Will the Administration\'s INS reforms include there areas as well?

So from what I gathered there are three ways in which Asylee GC approval quota can be increased? please correct me if I am wrong.

(1) Presidential Determination, which is released for every FY.
(2) Through the Congress. If HR1560 Bill is passed and becomes a law.
(3) If the AILF legal action is successful. My initial impression was that only those participating in the law suit as plaintiffs will receive preferential treatment from the INS if the case is won, but recent reply I received from AILF states that if I\'m certified in the same category as their plaintiffs I will also benefit from the successful result of their law suit.

I\'m currently preparing a draft form of the letter to Pres. Bush urging him to increase the Refugee Number (also Asylee Adjustment number) in Presidential Determination FY 2002. When I have the final letter I will fax, and email it to him at earliest .

Again, thanks for bringing this news to our attention.

No Title

Hi Jack, I also want to know what Gilbert has to say on this. Though I might be mistaken, I believe that option (1) is not valid. What I understand is that the President can set the asylee adjustment number up to 10000 but not exceed that number. Meaning that he can autorize less than 10000, thus making everything worse. But, we are confident that is not likely to happen. Only way to modify is through option (2). I am not sure about option (3) but it wouldn\'t be the first time INS lose a legal action and maybe find a kind of compensation, arrangement or special processing. Well, you know I am not an expert on this, and prefer to wait inputs from Gilbert and any other participant that knows better about this matter.
Anyway even though that option might not be valid I support your initiative to write President Bush.

No Title

I see...so maximum number a President can allow for Asylee adjustment numbers is 10,000, and Congress can increase it to any number (within reasounable parameters of course) they like? I\'m not sure how check and balances work between Executive branch and Legislative branch. But supposing Bush approves for 10,000 adjustments in Presidential Determination (let\'s just call it PD) FY2002 and Congress approves HR1560 months later after PD 2002 is released, does that mean the changes will not take effect immediately?

I think the option 3, namely the AILF legal action, focus on speedy processing time for a certian class of asylees.

No Title

Hello Jack,

My sense is that President Bush, who did not do very well among Hispanic-Americans and Asian-Americans in the last election, is trying very hard to expand his appeal. If the 2004 campaign is as close as 2000, these two groups could make or break the President\'s bid for reelection. I too will send him a letter in the coming days. I will also copy his top Justice Department appointees.

It is very frustrating to see HR1560 stalled in a purgatory otherwise known as a House subcommittee. As you may know, Re. Hoard German proposed a bill last session to eliminate the asylee quota completely (so that everyone can immediately adjust after one year in asylum status). The bill did not even get a hearing!

The way I understand it is that chairman of the immigration committee and the chairman of the judiciary committee have a lot of power in deciding which bills to consider. Both Chairman Sensenbrenner and Chairman Gekas are relatively to their jobs. I honestly cannot predict their ultimately stand on AR 1560. Let us pray for the best.

I am also hoping that a similar bill will be introduced in the Senate. The subcommittee chair is Wed Kennedy and the judiciary chair is Patrick Leahy. Their records show that they are very inclined toward helping immigrants. If the Senate takes action first, the prospects for increasing the asylee quota are much better, in my opinion.

No Title

Yes, Congress can increase or decrease the number at its complete discretion.

As to if any increase in adjustment will take immediate effect, it depends on the specific language of the law. When Congress doubled the asylee quota AFTER the start of fiscal year 91, it put the following into law

Effective date and transition.--The amendment made by paragraph (1)shall apply to fiscal years beginning with fiscal year 1991 and the President is authorized, without the need for appropriate consultation, to increase the refugee determination previously made under section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act for fiscal year 1991 in order to make such amendment effective for such fiscal year.

So, in that case, it took effect immediately.

As it currently stands, H.R. 1560 says that "The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to fiscal years beginning with fiscal year 2001". FY 2001 is almost past us!!!!!

No Title

Hmmmm....wait. His speech only focus on the naturalization processing time. Of course, those applicants will become voters in Election 2004.

Oh well...atleast he also points out about family/depedent visa processing times and the need to elimiate some applicants having to return to their home countries to change status.

"We should spare families the hardship of separation while one member is awaiting a Green Card,".
 I hope he is referring to all immigrants including the asylees. Some asylees like Jameel and his friend are already victims of this hardship.

No Title

If he really wants to project a pro-immigrant image, he should be receptive to problems other than naturalization.

People in our situation will not vote in 2004, but will in 2008 (or at most 2012) and beyond.

I do not want to sound hilarious, but maybe the President believes he is not the last Bush who wants to be President.

No Title

Hi Guys,

While preparing a draft letter to President Bush I\'m wondering if I can get the following facts from you:

(1) Number of Asylees currently living in the US.
(2) Number of Asylees waiting for LPR adjustment.

Also, the President\'s role in this matter is that he will be signing PD for FY2002 in September (or earlier?) and we want him to allow as many Asylee adjustment numbers as the law will allow him, correct? Hence this will be the main focus topic of the letter.

Is there anything else I should be adding to the letter? Once my letter is finished I will share it with you guys (with some personal details withheld of course).

Thanks

No Title

Jack,
I believe I can get an estimate for that. Why don\'t you ask him not only to approve the maximum that law allows him, but also to urge the Congress to act on HR 1560?
I believe he is going to authorize the 10000 anyway, so we should try for his support on HR 1560. Regards

No Title

Good and Thanks. Estimates will be just fine, I just want to raise the seriousness of the issue by pointing out how many people are waiting, and how long they have been waiting.

From what I understand, Presidential aides will be the ones that initially opening/reading the letter. If they think it is serious they will forward it to a senior advisor and he/she in turn will consult the President on the issue.

As we all know, the President and the Congress in general has bigger priority issues to deal with. So I\'m trying to write an effective yet brief letter.

No Title

Yeah...it\'s really tough being a politician in a democracy. He has to project a pro-immigrant image like you said while trying not to alienate himself from Arizona, Texas, New Mexico ranchers that are really ticked off by the border control issues. In most of their eyes a naturalized citizen who has waited 15 years and paid tens of thousands of dollars in taxes is not so different from the "Cyotes" smuggling drugs into the US.

I think during the Presidential Campaign the Bush team\'s slogan on immigration was "Pro legal immigration, tough on illegal border crossings." But then again even among illegal immigrants there are those who "sneaked in" because of the redtape on family visa processing times etc, and of course those who enter illegally to disguise other activities like smuggling drugs, espionage, terrorism etc. That\'s why on occassions Reagan signed pardon on illegal immigrants and Clinton signed the LIFE ACT.

Oh well...I\'ll do my share and fax those letters.

No Title

(1) Hard to say how many are currently living, but these figures will help. Individuals granted asylum in FY\'s: 92: 3959; 93: 7464; 94: 11764; 95: 17493; 96: 18556; 97: 15896; 98: 12951; 99: 18814; 00: 23410; 01:30000. From 92 to 98 are figures officially reported by INS. 99 and 00 are pretty good estimates from number of cases approved as reported by INS. O1 figure is an estimate based on current tendency, from INS monthly reports.
(2) The number of asylees waiting for LPR must be easily over 75000 individuals by now. Last backlog reported by INS, that I know, was 44,000 "cases" as of Nov 2, 2000.
Good luck

No Title

It would be nice to know if there are any action groups that are already lobbying on these issues. I mean like the professional groups that are lobbying for EB visas etc.

I\'m not undermining the importance of the letter writing campaign, but serious lobbying is done through these professional agencies based in DC. I think that is part of the reason why HR3771 Bill "fell in to the Black Hole."

I searched the web for information on such groups and found individual law firms asking people to write letters etc, but that\'s as far as it goes.

The advantage of hiring a professional lobbyist firm is that they will send you alert messages when there is a serious issue, prepare letters to fax or mail to the politicians, and even arrange meetings between clients and politicians. It would be nice if a millionaire asylee donates serious amount of money to start such campagin (just kidding).

No Title

Oh my god! Look at all those companies lobbying for this bill. And the facts they presented/argued in the letter were VERY persuasive.
Somehow I think our letter will look very different from that one and emphasize on the humanatarian grounds. However, it would be nice if afew sympathetic law firms can sign it like those hightech companies did.

No Title

Hi Guys,

You can fax, snail mail, or email your letters to the President using the following contact address.

Good Luck

---------------

The White House Mailing Address

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

To Extend an Invitation

Please follow these guidelines to extend an invitation to the President, Vice President, First Lady, or Mrs. Cheney.

The White House Phone Numbers

SWITCHBOARD: 202-456-1414

FAX: 202-456-2461

TTY/TDD Phone Numbers (for the Hearing Impaired Only)

202-456-6213 Comment Line
202-395-0805 Equal Employment Opportunity Office
202-456-2121 Visitors Office

White House E-Mail Addresses

President George W. Bush: president@whitehouse.gov
Vice President Dick Cheney: vice.president@whitehouse.gov
First Lady Laura Bush: first.lady@whitehouse.gov
Mrs. Lynne Cheney: mrs.cheney@whitehouse.gov

No Title

Dear Alanpero,

I think that you underestimated the number of asylum grants in recent years. I understand that the INS only reports grants made by its own asylum officers. As you may know, both immigration judges and the Board of Immigration Appeals (known collective as the EOIR) also grant asylum. In addition, successful asylum applicants may bring in their spouses and children from overseas. The INS does not report the number of those I-730 beneficiaries

In FY 97, there were at least 22,300 granted asylum.

In 98, there were at least 20,500 new asylees.

In FY 99, there were at least 21,000.

I am searching deeper for other years.

But the situation is more serious than most of us thought.

Thanks.