Confusion Here: Is there a time limit to get PP stamped after approval?

dma_va

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

From what the PP stamping officer told me at Arlington, VA last week, I thought it was sufficiently clear that so long as one has a courtsey/original of the I-485 approval, one can get it stamped within a reasonable period.

But yesterday some guy, on this forum has said to have heard from "somebody" that there is a limit of 30 days for this.

I request, anybody with some concrete info. (I thought I had that having got it from the officer), please please tell me if there is a time limit or not for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think

they'll issue a plastic card without stamping and so it'll depend on one's need to travel. Besides that, i don't think there's a time limit for stamping.

Awaiting Approval,

That's incorrect.

Stamping is a MUST.

And please don't go by what u just think. Let's have somebody comment with some real info. on this.

I could not find any concrete information on this issue so far. However, my impressions from other postings and web-browsing are that:

1. PP stamping is necessary for plastic cards (GC) - because they take impression of your finger and recent photo at the time of stamping and a signature on I-9 (or something like that) to order the cards. Only minor children need no passport stampings (their cards come with approval notices).

2. IBIS checks (recently implemented security checks) are valid for 30 or 35 days (once I read it in the "Braking News" section on http://www.immigration-law.com/ ) so if passport stamping is not done within "reasonable" time after approval, one might need a fresh IBIS check and stamping/plastic card might get delayed by some time.

This is my understanding and I am not 100% sure about it.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

Here is what I know...
There is I think a 60 day limit for you to go and get yourself "registered". What that means is:
(1) You are finger printed and photos taken for your plastic.
(2) Stamped for temporary evidence(If passport is valid for 6+ months).

I know someone who was fingerprinted but not stamped as her passport was about to expire in 2 months.(she still was registered as perm resident from that day only she had no temporary proof till her card arrived in mail).

Secondly with new IBIS check, it is mandatory to go with in 30 days!!!. IBIS checks are valid only for 30 days. So if you go after that they will have to do the checks again thus delaying your registering process...

dma_va

I think Awaiting approval is partially correct, remember when they initially started the IBIS check, there was one particular posting where I remember, where the poster said that his finger print was taken and there is a form which has to be filled (That was Filled), and then he was told that INS would send him a letter, about the stamping date, eventually he never got the stamping notice, but he did get the cards without stamping.

I know the above criteria dosent apply to you, but if you research the archives it might help, also please try Murthy Chat, where Lawyer Murthy answers questions online, I am not sure about her schedule, but again if you go to her website, I am sure you will find it.

As far as the IBIS check is concerned now it takes 15 to 20 minutes only, so even if your spouse has to do her IBIS check again that should not be a delaying factor.

Hope this helps buddy

awaitingapproval,

I am sorry, I misread ur comments about stamping (probably a case of misplaced punctuations, :D :D ).

Here is my two cents.

You don't have to do PP stamping to get the cards. However you need to do finger printing to get the cards. PP stamping and Finger printing are two different things (though these are done at the same time).

PP - stamping is temporary GC (valid for one year) or lesser than one year if your Passport is getting expired before one year. Once they stamp on your pp your ap,ead are invalid and you need to have this stamp if you want to travel outside or to work with in us. However if you don't need this stamping on your passport you can ask them not to do so and can request to order card directly. Most majority of the people don't do this.

Plastic card directly

How long does or can it take to order plastic card directly...

Do we have to send photographs???
Do we need to have finger printing done again???

Does anybody know the procedure for that????

Yes, Mallu is correct. Infact, this happenned to one of the couple at Newark today. For some reason, the officer refused to stamp the husband's passport (I don't know the reason). But I heard the officer telling him "You can use your EAD / Parole / I94s etc.. You will get the cards in mail and your I-89 processing is now complete".

IBIS Procedure

Here is the info on the IBIS check which I found from,

http://www.murthy.com

MurthyBulletin : VOL. VIII, no. 33 - Aug 16, 2002

IBIS Procedure
-------------------

INS performs background checks using the "IBIS" database for all types of applications and petitions, whether filed at the regional Service Centers or the local District Offices. These checks occur within 15 days of receiving the case and remain valid for 35 days. If the adjudication occurs more than 35 days after the IBIS check, a new check is required.

These timeframes can become an issue for Adjustment of Status (I-485) applications. In those cases, the Service Center sends an approval notice directing the applicant to the Local District Office for a passport stamp. If the passport stamp is done within 35 days of the last IBIS check, no additional check is needed. If a further IBIS check is needed before the passport can be stamped, it may take only a day at many of the local offices. However, if the check results in a "hit" (a match with a record on file of a person with a criminal issue or other serious problem) the case may take much longer to resolve.

Note that, since IBIS is a name check system, if one has a very common name there may be a "hit" based on the record of some other person who happens to have the same name. In the event of a hit, the local office is required to place a stamp in the passport as evidence of permanent resident status, valid for 30 days only. This stamp will provide evidence of authorization to work and will allow travel for the 30-day period. No mention was made regarding procedures if the matter is not cleared up within 30 days but, presumably, the person could obtain another stamp if needed.

---------------------------------------------------

After reading this, I posted yesterday whether anybody had experience with this. My I-485 got approved yesterday and my wife is currently in India, who is coming back only during October end. Does she have to come back immediately to get her passport stamped?

Thanks,