confusing with I-130, I-485 ???

hopegcfast

Registered Users (C)
Hello.
I'm confused with I-130 and I-485.
Actually, I got married to American Citizen last year. I'm still waiting for the interview.

Here are my questions:
1. If I want to check my status, which one should I check? I-130 or I-485?
2. Are they approved at the same time?
3. As I know, Green Card will be issued after approval of I-485. Right? However why do people check the status of I-130?
4. When I look at Processing Time Report on immigration.com, what does it mean by "Processing Cases Receipted"? It means my files are being reviewed and then shortly they give me the interview ??

I'm so confused.
Please, anybody who knows it tell me what they are exactly.
Thanks.

I-130 is the petition that basically validates the underlying reason (i.e., marriage to U.S.C) for the adjustment of status from current status to that of a PR (I-485). So, essentially the I-130 needs to be approved prior to I-485 approval. To answer your questions:

1. I-130
2. No. Typically I-130 will come before I-485. Once your I-485 is approved you're done i.e., a legal permanent resident.
3. Because if the I-130 is denied, I-485 will be automatically denied because the basis for approving I-485 no longer exists.
4. It means your I-130 will begin to be processed around that timeframe (will probably take 1-2 months). The case will then be transferred to the local office that will actually schedule and conduct your interview since this is a family based case (see processing times for local BCIS offices).

However, as long as you have filed for your EAD and AP (Advanced Parole) and have them approved, you can work and travel without issue in the meantime.

Last edited by a moderator: