Confused, Lawyer or no Lawyer?

Brenglen

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

Ok so I get advice from two different sides, USCIS and Lawyers. As we all know by now my Case is quite wierd...On July 24th my case statis showed that my "Request of evidence" letter they tried sending to me was marked as "Undelverable", so I called quite a few times for request of being it re-sent but nothing came in the mail. So I scheduled an info pass in September and the Immirgation Officer told me to contact the National Benefits center that is processing my case, so I did, however this lawyer told me that I should get a lawyer cause my Case could get terminated but USCIS told me that it wont get terminated cause there are cases still going from 2003 and 2004. So im thinking Lawyer just wants money and stuff, he said that he will charge me $240.00 an hour and it could process in 1 hour but it may not.

So should I get a Lawyer or should I be patient and wait for response from the service center in Missori?

Brenglen said:
Hi guys,

Ok so I get advice from two different sides, USCIS and Lawyers. As we all know by now my Case is quite wierd...On July 24th my case statis showed that my "Request of evidence" letter they tried sending to me was marked as "Undelverable", so I called quite a few times for request of being it re-sent but nothing came in the mail. So I scheduled an info pass in September and the Immirgation Officer told me to contact the National Benefits center that is processing my case, so I did, however this lawyer told me that I should get a lawyer cause my Case could get terminated but USCIS told me that it wont get terminated cause there are cases still going from 2003 and 2004. So im thinking Lawyer just wants money and stuff, he said that he will charge me $240.00 an hour and it could process in 1 hour but it may not.

So should I get a Lawyer or should I be patient and wait for response from the service center in Missori?

It is very hard to answer your question. Getting an attorney is like taking out an insurance policy ----you may spend the $240.00(which is not a bad fee IMO by the way) and then regret it when the benefit comes your way naturally. Or you may not spend it and land up in all sorts of problems, where expensive litigation will be required.

I don't think anyone can make the choice for you.

Hi Brengelen

I would like to know if You can think of something that you have forget to put with your applicition. The reason for my question is because if have gone thru the same process. I was waiting for my RFE letter since 03/27/2006 but because something in the mail (don't no who to blame but you can guess?????????) did not recieve the letter. Got a Email from the USCIS saying letter unable to deliver. I had to contact them to verified my information. I have been living at that address for a year now. RD - 02/20/2006 recieve the RD's and biometrice apt. for 05/13/2006 on 04/03/2006. When to my biometrics apt. Thinking that I would get my EAD with in weeks. Called then after 30 days to ask them about my EAD, I was told that They have send my a letter but I never got it. So jthey give me a refence number I had to call the but after 30 days. That is 60 days gone there. When I had Info pass apt. for my IEAD on 7/19/2006 I was told that my case had a hold on it. So they could not give a IEAD. I do not no what the officer put in his computer and a week later I had the letter. I was told by the USCIS callcenter that I did not had to sent in my medical, because I could bring it with my on my interview. Which was wrong the officer at the DO told that they at the callcenter don't know what they are speaking of. You do not need a lawyer if you enter is country legally. it will only cost you more money. Some of us are paying between the $ 1000 and $ 1700 to fill our paperwork that is with the medical. so that is enough.

I am waiting on my EAD now recieve a email for USCIS on 09/22/2006 that they are busy with my case.

So I know what you are going thru.

ellis4799 said:
I would like to know if You can think of something that you have forget to put with your applicition. The reason for my question is because if have gone thru the same process. I was waiting for my RFE letter since 03/27/2006 but because something in the mail (don't no who to blame but you can guess?????????) did not recieve the letter. Got a Email from the USCIS saying letter unable to deliver. I had to contact them to verified my information. I have been living at that address for a year now. RD - 02/20/2006 recieve the RD's and biometrice apt. for 05/13/2006 on 04/03/2006. When to my biometrics apt. Thinking that I would get my EAD with in weeks. Called then after 30 days to ask them about my EAD, I was told that They have send my a letter but I never got it. So jthey give me a refence number I had to call the but after 30 days. That is 60 days gone there. When I had Info pass apt. for my IEAD on 7/19/2006 I was told that my case had a hold on it. So they could not give a IEAD. I do not no what the officer put in his computer and a week later I had the letter. I was told by the USCIS callcenter that I did not had to sent in my medical, because I could bring it with my on my interview. Which was wrong the officer at the DO told that they at the callcenter don't know what they are speaking of. You do not need a lawyer if you enter is country legally. it will only cost you more money. Some of us are paying between the $ 1000 and $ 1700 to fill our paperwork that is with the medical. so that is enough.

I am waiting on my EAD now recieve a email for USCIS on 09/22/2006 that they are busy with my case.

So I know what you are going thru.

Since you know all the EXACT details of his case, you must clearly be correct. By analogy to your case he does not need an attorney. Good deductive reasoning on your part. My mistake. (!!)

Well thank you guys,

I think I sent everything in, I mean I have a checklist the 1800number gave me before I sent my forms in and well I don't have a I-94 cause I am Canadian (Canadians are not given I-94s) nor do I have a Passport.

Yes it's not a walk in the park, and im not looking to be #1 in line however I am very confused and wondering why nothing is coming in the mail.

I will be patient and hope for a letter in the mail real soon, cause I did write to the National Benfets center.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brenglen said:
Well thank you guys,

I think I sent everything in, I mean I have a checklist the 1800number gave me before I sent my forms in and well I don't have a I-94 cause I am Canadian (Canadians are not given I-94s) nor do I have a Passport.

Yes it's not a walk in the park, and im not looking to be #1 in line however I am very confused and wondering why nothing is coming in the mail.

I will be patient and hope for a letter in the mail real soon, cause I did write to the National Benfets center.

I stand by my original advice to you ---- however, Note: I did not tell you to get an attorney or not to get one ---- only you can decide. [oh, and of course ellis can too, because he knows your facts exactly and is perfectly capable of advising you in this regard]

An attorney can't help you to get RFE letter faster. And he charges $240 an hour, but who knows how many hours he WILL spend on your case. Every phone he makes he will charge you. In my opinion, if you don't have complications, do it by yourself. If anything fishy, then you do need a lawyer.

I did everything by myself(with help from nice people here) and I am waiting for my GC in mail in 3 weeks. I already got Welcome Notice. The only mistake I made was overpaying them $60, but it's much cheaper than hiring a lawyer :D

baltimore2006 said:
An attorney can't help you to get RFE letter faster. And he charges $240 an hour, but who knows how many hours he WILL spend on your case. Every phone he makes he will charge you. In my opinion, if you don't have complications, do it by yourself. If anything fishy, then you do need a lawyer.

And perhaps that is why he may need one. If you read my advice carefully, I did not tell him to hire an attorney ---- it is his judgment call. I agree an attorney cannot get the RFE faster per se, however, if there are more complicated issues causing this, or perhaps the OP's rights are not correctly considered etc. etc., the force of an attorney can be helpful

In his case, I dont know, because I do not know the details of his case, what he has been told, why he has been told that etc. etc.

Thanks guys and yes it is my Judgement call, I mean since July I have kept calling the 1800number and request them to resend the letter cause I haven't received it at all. The officer at my Infopass told me that I should write a letter to the place that is working on my case and to detail everything and to make sure I make a copy of my I485 Reseat. I sent the letter last Wednesday, so how much time should I give them before I pursuit a lawyer?

Also, should I write to my senate or Director of USCIS?

thanks again guys.