confused about I84-income

needsadvise

Registered Users (C)
I just had a question regarding my I-864 and the petition for my husband.

For line 23 where it says "My current individual annual income is," am I supposed to use the income that I am expecting for the current year (as in 2010) for which I have not yet filed my taxes or the income from the previous year.

Furthermore, my income for 2009 and 2008 were very low as I was a full time student and I just graduated from college and now I have a full time job with $40k salary. Since I have not yet filed taxes for the new job and my income from last year is very low, I am wondering that when the NVC looks at my income to see if I am above the poverty line or not, will they look at my current salary or previous year's tax file.

Would it be safer to just include bank statements having high savings account balance?

Thanks for your advise.

What part of the word "CURRENT" you don't understand?
Current income is all that matters. However, you MUST include an explanation as to why you didn't file tax return.

It's easier for USCIS to believe someone who says he makes $40K a year currently, and includes tax return showing about the same income for last few years. But, that doesn't mean it's required. Your current income is ALL that matters, even if you never made a dime in your life before - so include any documents that prove that you have the income you are claiming AND that this income is likely to continue. That means, pay-stubs, letter from employer.