Concurrent/Non-concurrent : Please Help

mailskobe

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I just got my labor approved after re-advertisement. My initial LCA date for state was NOV01 and for DOL was 12/17/2002. Application was for California.

My category is EB3 even though I have an MS because the original advertisement stated BS + 2 years.

Now, I am confused if I should apply concurrently for 140/485 or do it separately.
My lawyer suggests to do separate 140 and 485/CP. She says it’s a conservative approach and is more likely to succeed. According to her non-concurrent 140 is taking about 6 months for approval. (is that correct?)

She also pointed out that since in concurrent both 140 and 485 adjudication happens together, most of these cases are taking more than 25 months and the rules for AC21 (6 month porting with EAD) are kind of muddy and may not apply.

Since I am not EB2, Pilot Program doesn’t apply to me. In such a case, is there any benefit for me to in applying concurrently?

On the flip side, I have read some posts which state that non concurrent applications have stalled and aren’t moving forward at all?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Mailskobe

Welcome to the club

[Hi mileskobe ! [ ] are my toughts]

Hi,
I just got my labor approved after re-advertisement. My initial LCA date for state was NOV01 and for DOL was 12/17/2002. Application was for California.

I'm in CA and had to go through LC twice, got an OK Dec 03 and applied 140 ONLY in March of this year.]

My category is EB3 even though I have an MS because the original advertisement stated BS + 2 years.

[I'm E3 as well]

Now, I am confused if I should apply concurrently for 140/485 or do it separately.
My lawyer suggests to do separate 140 and 485/CP. She says it’s a conservative approach and is more likely to succeed. According to her non-concurrent 140 is taking about 6 months for approval. (is that correct?)

[Wow, I thought we had same lawyer. He said the same...didn't recomment concurrently. I'm still in dilemma just like you though. At this point I'm planning to go for CP. He said my 140 might be taking a less than a year. I don't know what reasons he has. My paper says 360-360 days.]

She also pointed out that since in concurrent both 140 and 485 adjudication happens together, most of these cases are taking more than 25 months and the rules for AC21 (6 month porting with EAD) are kind of muddy and may not apply.

[ The very reason he wanted me to apply ONLY 140 is in case of denial, it is easier to appeal. And the benefits we will have under the 485 such as EAD is not so sure and not clear.]

Since I am not EB2, Pilot Program doesn’t apply to me. In such a case, is there any benefit for me to in applying concurrently?

[The benefit I can think of concurrently is if your status/visa expired, it's OK. We DO have to have visa to go interview for CP, no matter how long we have to wait till the day comes.]

On the flip side, I have read some posts which state that non concurrent applications have stalled and aren’t moving forward at all?

[ :( Also, I have a fear that every consular will be busier than ever due to the visa issue under the new law. I hope we don't need to wait too long for the interview after 140.]

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Mailskobe

[Sorry, I'm not helping much but I'm so glad to hear your case and lawyer are just like mine. Let's not depress ...hope to hear from you to exchange any info in the future.]

hello JinCA
seems like you are just about leading me. would be very helpful to see how you application goes.
you said that your 140 was filed in march and it still says 360 odd days!! so it taking more than a year for 140 to get apporved!!! :mad:

in such a case, does it really help to do 140 only???
can you now file 485 and be counted as concurrent?

also, do you know if you file concurrently, can you then later add your spouse? i am currently single!

Thanks